Looking to wether buckling

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by The Goatfather, Jun 18, 2020.

1. The Goatfather

The Goatfather New Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Escondido Ca
    Hello all,
    I'm new to this forum and relatively new to goats. We have 2 Nubians ( female and wether) 1 Nigerian female and a Metetonic buckling. I'm looking for the best place to get my buckling wethered. I live in San Diego Ca. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Reach out to your vet (hopefully you have one) or a local farmer. Depending on his age this is a relatively easy procedure. Also, you can do it yourself. Lots of UTube videos out there showing how to do this properly.

CountyLineAcres likes this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @TheGoatFather - any luck finding a veterinarian to neuter your myotonic buckling? How old is he? There are basically three methods: banding, crushing Burdizzo, or surgical. I suppose there are several more less common as well.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    forget the vet find a cattleman they can do it

5. i have had GREAT luck using an emasculation device. so far, it's worked wonderfully on four buck kids without fail. usually we preform surgical castration ourselves but after researching about emasulators, i quickly bought one (for about $40.00) since im sure to get more use out of it in the future. since its bloodless, no shots or infection will follow the castration (other than a shot of painkiller prior to the procedure) no buckings enjoy castration but this procedure lasts only about ten seconds and then its over.