The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this the play table in my buck pen, looks like my little Max may have coccidia. Does this look like coccidia to you?

Tomorrow I'm going to hit him HARD with GI Soother and DWorm A. That cleared his brother up. If he doesn't clear by the end of the day tomorrow, I'm going to go chemical. Which chemical would you guys suggest in NJ?

Attachments

·
1,524 Posts
Personally, I never treat unless I do a fecal. I don't want wormer resistance to build up in my herd and I sure don't have any money to throw away on what might be the wrong chemical for the target worms.

Usually cocci poo is very runny and smells bad. Can have mucus and blood mixed in.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a fecal done earlier on his brother who had it -- I should probably get that done. My vet usually charges around $20 for a fecal, though, and last time it took a week for him to get back to me on results. :( I don't want to wait that long if this is cocci.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normal pellets this morning, going to keep up the herbs and garlic, they seem to be doing the trick ATM. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Cool. Glad it is working.

My girls had some clump stool so started them on herbs. Unfortunately only 1 out of 3 like it. So one eats it right out of my hand and the other 2 I have to catch and force it down them and hold their mouths closed until they swallow. I'm hoping someday they will like them. Sure is easier when they will eat it like a treat. :rolleyes:

·
558 Posts
What herbs are you using? My doeling has had clumpy poo for sometime. I would love to find something that would help her.

·
558 Posts
Thank you for the info. My girl has had clumpy poo for months and it is driving me crazy with worry.
The fecal I had done showed no worm load, I pulled grain, changed hay, tried probiotics, sulmet for cocci prevention, I just don't know what else to do.

How are you treating with garlic? cloves?

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am part of a facebook group called TotallyNaturalGoats, and they gave me this information:

ACUTE DOSAGE (Frequency): A double dose for the first dose, then normal dosage every 15 minutes for the first hour, then go to normal dose hourly till they are on the upswing. Continue to dose hourly for 2 additional hours. If they continue to improve, go to every 3-4 hours. Continue at 3-4 times a day for 3 days past symptoms (which is CHRONIC dosage). You can QUICKLY get ahead of a problem using herbs aggressively. They are a VERY powerful help in time of need!

So I double-dosed the GI Soother and DWorm A, and followed these instructions. It cleared up a very serious case of cocci before. Herbs are very powerful if you dose them correctly, and if you get the herbs at the right place. I give mine as cookies, each cookie has molasses in them, and a crushed clove of garlic. :) At first they didn't like it, but everyone loves them now. Otherwise, I'd be drenching them with it.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Continued giving him his herbs every hour today (gave it every 15 minutes for an hour at the beginning). He did have normal pellets this morning. Back end is clear, acting great. Checked around the yard, and most of what I found were good pellets. I found one little clump under the feeder, and one area where there were pellets, and next to it a little bit of loose. Hoping for pellets again tomorrow. For now, sleep. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Glad he is continuing to do better.

Another one of my girls decided she likes the dosage balls so now 2 out of 3 of my goats like the herbs. I still have one that doesn't and is not happy with me. Oh well, their stool is back to normal and that is all I care.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Its funny how excited us goat people get when our goats have normal pellets! :ROFL:

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still all clear, pellets again, twice. :D No signs of any drips or clumps anywhere that I can find. Woo hoo!

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, tonight he pooped pellets, but they were joined together like pearls. Very strange. I assumed it was mucus, or possibly that he was passing a worm. I will continue to keep an eye on him and treating him. As far as I can tell, he's acting normal. Is there anything else the mucus could signify? There was just a little on his rear after he pooped.

·
558 Posts
I got my GI Soother and Deworm A in the mail yesterday. Started at 1pm with the every 15 minutes double dose the first dose and accidentally gave double dose GI soother second dose too(oops).
I am only supposed to give Deworm A twice a day for 5 days right?? Or did you do that with the GI Soother every 15 minutes too??
I am sooooo hoping this works. I am so frustrated with the clump poo and worry.

Its 1:45, out to give my next dose....

·
558 Posts
Also, I want to give probiotics for 5 days straight. Should I wait until I am done with the herbs or does that not matter?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts