Loose Elbows?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Dec 13, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have heard this a couple times and cannot figure out what loose elbows would look like. Can anyone help w/ pictures?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    the elbow should set smoothly and tightly against the chestwall at all times. . . . . . loose elbows, I think is liked a bowlegged man . . .. :shrug:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay. So, does Lyla have really tight elbows? It has to do with how straight the legs are, right? For some reason, the term "loose elbows" is not making any sense to me.

[​IMG]

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I am confused too. The picture i have where it points out the parts of a goat has the "point of elbow" being the inside portion of the front legs under neath the shoulder and above the knee.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I can't find a picture....but I was at a show and the judge was pointing this..out..on a goat..
    looking at them from the front or rear ...there elbows really stick out...with an appearance such as chicken wing elbows with no meat filling the gap ...between the elbow and the heart girth/armpit area.... :)
    your doe,, does not have loose elbows ,,,as I can see... :) ...It has nothing to do with.. how straight the legs are,,,it is in their arm pit area.....she looks fine....

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if you can fit fingers between the inner elbow and the body the elbows are loose

i'll try and get pictures

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I couldn't find the pics...but SDK ...yep.... that describes it....I hope you can find pics of it though.. :)

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i have a goat with some loose elbows... and one with really tight elbows.. so i'll take them myself

its always good to know.

its a horrible pet peeve of mine

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Your doe doesn't appear to have loose elbows but I can't really tell by the picture.

My internet is really slow right now so I can't get the link, but if you go to my site and Molly(aka Tuscon) has really loose elbows, they really turn out and the appraiser loved everything about her, except for that. I'm not sure if you can see from the pics on my site(you should from the front pic) but if you look at her and her elbows really do point out away from her body. Here's her PB album, there might be a better pic in there: s65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/goathappy/dairygoats/molly

According to the appraiser, you don't want loose elbows, but you don't want elbows that stick right to the sides of them, I don't htink that is correct either. There's a happy median somewhere and I can't remember which doe of mine had really nice elbows.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I can kinda see that. . . . thanks! It makes more sense now, now I want to go and check over my goaties. ;)

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'll try and get some pictures today

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    well i got them.. but my camera isn't with me.. so i'll get them up tomorrow

14. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    This can be subtle or quite obvious. Caused usually by a bad rib spring or shoulder fault that forces the elbow to flare out.