The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received 3 Nubian kids for my birthday they are currently two weeks old and still on milk. I do understand the basics of taking care of goats. Well enough to know that the Purina goat minerals aren't very good. But what I don't know what would be a good brand of loose minerals for goats and where can I find them because unfortunately Google only likes to show me the one brand. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anybody know how long it takes for a goat to go through a 50 lb bag of minerals ? Just a general question I like to buy things in bulk. ( Cough cough . Antisocial hermit who doesn't like to leave my land) PS these are the two bucklings when they were first born mocha and carbon. View attachment 207346

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Congrats on the new goats!

I would highly recommend Sweetlix Meat Maker goat minerals. I've heard that Purina Wind and Rain cattle mineral and Cargill Onyx are also good minerals too, but I don't have any experience with them. If you are in the south east and have farmers Co-op stores they sell a great mineral called Co-op supreme goat mineral.

A bag of minerals will last you pretty long, especially with only three little guys. Six months maybe? Could be longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new goats!

I would highly recommend Sweetlix Meat Maker goat minerals. I've heard that Purina Wind and Rain cattle mineral and Cargill Onyx are also good minerals too, but I don't have any experience with them. If you are in the south east and have farmers Co-op stores they sell a great mineral called Co-op supreme goat mineral.

A bag of minerals will last you pretty long, especially with only three little guys. Six months maybe? Could be longer.
I live in illinois. I love the two boys. We pick up the girl in June originally we were just getting one boy but the person selling them how to go who had twin boys and she asked if I would be willing to take the other boy too because the mother rejected them both and I agreed. Thanks for the info unfortunately for me there's not a lot of farm stores near me I think the closest tractor supply stores 3 hours away so pretty much in my area all I have is Huffman's farm King and horse and hound

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
I live in illinois. I love the two boys. We pick up the girl in June originally we were just getting one boy but the person selling them how to go who had twin boys and she asked if I would be willing to take the other boy too because the mother rejected them both and I agreed. Thanks for the info unfortunately for me there's not a lot of farm stores near me I think the closest tractor supply stores 3 hours away so pretty much in my area all I have is Huffman's farm King and horse and hound
You may be able to find Sweetlix online. Jeffers sells it, but there's a pretty hefty shipping price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I order Manna Pro Goat Mineral through Tractor Supply Co. online and they ship to my home. My two dwarf goats like the minerals, and the small bag lasts a long time. Since you only have a couple goats it won't be too expensive comparatively to more bulk and cheaper cost minerals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I order Manna Pro Goat Mineral through Tractor Supply Co. online and they ship to my home. My two dwarf goats like the minerals, and the small bag lasts a long time. Since you only have a couple goats it won't be too expensive comparatively to more bulk and cheaper cost minerals.
Also, be prepared for them to consume too much of it at first like candy ;) They will settle down with the newness of it after a few weeks...

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The best way to find a mineral good for your goats is knowing what minerals your area is deficient in. You local/state extension would be able to answer that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.