The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard giving goats loose minerals during pregnancy is good. We have two(hopefully) pregnant Nigerians and one pregnant Kiko, and we already have a mineral block out in the pasture for all of them. So, I was wondering is it better to give them loose minerals or a block, or is there a difference?? Also, If it is necessary to feed them loose minerals, what exactly would I need to give them.

Also, we just brought home a SUPER SWEET 2 month old Nigerian Dwarf doeling (who is teeny tiny :love:) and I was wondering if there are any special feeds, supplements, minerals, etc that I need to give her. The lady we bought her from said goat feed, hay, and a mineral block--Is there anything else???

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Loose minerals are what you have to have, something like Onyx or Sweatlix Meat Maker. The blocks are too hard for them to chew off so they are not able to get enough minerals fast enough.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
As for supplements for the doeling, good hay, minerals (loose) and deworming as needed are all you need. But if you want her to grow faster/better, a good dairy goat grain mix or you own mix (I make my own mix because it is much healthier for them) will really help supplement her growth.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you make your own, and what is the best way to feed them loose minerals?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We get one of those feeders you can hang on a wall. Or in a tub on the ground and change it out when needed.

My grain mix is 2 parts rolled oats, 2 parts soaked barley, and 1 part calf manna. Whole grains are much healthier than most pelleted mixes, and cheaper too. I also add a couple teaspoons of sunflower oil to take the place of BOSS and to help with weight gain. There are many different whole grains and other things such as split peas to make into a mix. You can use what you have access to, and use this LOH method to figure out the protein of the mix. For growing, 16% or something close should be good.

http://landofhavilahfarm.com/figure-the-protein--of-your-mix-.htm

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the best place to find the whole grains to make the mix on your own?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I get them from the feed store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts