The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to goats, actually picking up our three 10 week old NDG’s today! Two wethers and a doeling.
I am having issues with understanding what ratio of loose minerals goat kids need and can’t seem to find a straight answer. Can you post a picture of your loose mineral breakdown or let me know what you use? I’m in Ontario Canada and just bought a bag of what I was told was loose minerals but the packaging is calling it a premix....so I really don’t have a clue!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,535 Posts
With you being in Canada I can't really tell you what to get because I know they have different stuff there. @MadHouse might be able to help you with that because she's in Canada. If you can find it, Sweetlix meat maker goat minerals are a really good brand. Cargill Onyx, and Purina Wind and Rain cattle mineral are also good ones, but I don't know what you can get in your area.

If it's labeled premix, it's probably not the right thing. A label, as Ksalvagno said, would be helpful for those on here who are label reading masters (I am not one of them).

I don't know if you are aware of this but, loose minerals should be left out free choice. That way the goats can decide how much they need, which they are very good at.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
In Ontario you might be able to get one of the choices @MellonFriend mentioned. I am in Manitoba. I had to get a cattle mineral. I mix it one cup minerals to 3/4 cup salt.
Mine is labelled premix also. Maybe it's a Canadian thing?
This is the name of mine:
RITEMINS 20:10 NO SALT HI CNZ MIN-PREMIX
GENERAL PURPOSE BEEF MINERAL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It says theres sodium in it.....so not sure if I’m supposed to add to this? I’m going to check out a different store today and may return this bag because I don’t think it’s the right thing....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
It's very close....a few small differences (vitamin A amount and a couple others but not big differences). I wasn't planning to mix the mineral with feed, I just want to put it in our loose mineral feeder and feed free choice but I don't even know if this is the right thing.
When I was looking at which one to buy, I was considering that one or the Ritemins. One member here, who was the mineral expert, advised me on getting the Ritemins, and what to mix it with (3/4 salt per one part minerals).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I was looking at which one to buy, I was considering that one or the Ritemins. One member here, who was the mineral expert, advised me on getting the Ritemins, and what to mix it with (3/4 salt per one part minerals).
Am I supposed to add salt to this one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts