Loose minerals.....so very confused!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Erin80, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Erin80

Erin80 New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    We are new to goats, actually picking up our three 10 week old NDG’s today! Two wethers and a doeling.
    I am having issues with understanding what ratio of loose minerals goat kids need and can’t seem to find a straight answer. Can you post a picture of your loose mineral breakdown or let me know what you use? I’m in Ontario Canada and just bought a bag of what I was told was loose minerals but the packaging is calling it a premix....so I really don’t have a clue!

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can you post a picture what you have with ingredients and all? What is in the US is different from Canada.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

With you being in Canada I can't really tell you what to get because I know they have different stuff there. @MadHouse might be able to help you with that because she's in Canada. If you can find it, Sweetlix meat maker goat minerals are a really good brand. Cargill Onyx, and Purina Wind and Rain cattle mineral are also good ones, but I don't know what you can get in your area.

If it's labeled premix, it's probably not the right thing. A label, as Ksalvagno said, would be helpful for those on here who are label reading masters (I am not one of them).

I don't know if you are aware of this but, loose minerals should be left out free choice. That way the goats can decide how much they need, which they are very good at.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

In Ontario you might be able to get one of the choices @MellonFriend mentioned. I am in Manitoba. I had to get a cattle mineral. I mix it one cup minerals to 3/4 cup salt.
    Mine is labelled premix also. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing?
    This is the name of mine:
    RITEMINS 20:10 NO SALT HI CNZ MIN-PREMIX
    GENERAL PURPOSE BEEF MINERAL

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with a premix. Just means you have to add it to salt at whatever rate is suggested.

Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The mineral @MadHouse mentioned is a good one.

As for the premix, call the company, and ask what the guaranteed analysis once all the necessary salt is added.

7. Erin80

Erin80 New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    E62496E6-1C92-4354-80F7-E5D7971BBCD9.jpeg Here’s the breakdown.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Erin80

Erin80 New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    It says theres sodium in it.....so not sure if I’m supposed to add to this? I’m going to check out a different store today and may return this bag because I don’t think it’s the right thing....

9. Erin80

Erin80 New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    It’s very close....a few small differences (vitamin A amount and a couple others but not big differences). I wasn’t planning to mix the mineral with feed, I just want to put it in our loose mineral feeder and feed free choice but I don’t even know if this is the right thing.

10. MadHouse

When I was looking at which one to buy, I was considering that one or the Ritemins. One member here, who was the mineral expert, advised me on getting the Ritemins, and what to mix it with (3/4 salt per one part minerals).

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. Erin80

Erin80 New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    Am I supposed to add salt to this one?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  12. MadHouse

It should say in the instructions.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Ritemins is a good one and the best I’ve seen in Canada. That premix is way too low in copper.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.