Loose poo....very frustrated

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Thanatos, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok... Luna, my nubian milker, has loose poo still. She has had this since kidding in March. I have had fecals done and she is totally clean. I have done fecals and found nothing. She doesn't have a fever her diet hasn't changed in more than a month. I have gone thru 2 tubes of probios since March on her alone. She eats and behaves fine. I just can't seem to get her back to pooin berries. All 3 of the others are fine its just her :hair: . any ideas? Oh and her pasture is my backyard and as such is totally controlled no unknown foods.

She has stuck her nose in the sanitizing solution for the milker and taken a gulp before I could stop her about 3 weeks ago. But she hasnt had a good berry poo in like a month and a half. If the sanitizer killed her rumen stuff wouldn't she get diareah? Does it take more than a month to fix rumen kill off?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You mentioned Pasture....is it lush green.....?

If so... it could be it is to rich for her......
    feeding a little hay... before she grazes may help....And to maybe let her graze a couple hours a day and gradually increase... then her system may start to get use to it...

have you tried pepto ?

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    By pasture I meant my backyard in the city. they are in a 50'x70' yard no grass and only a couple o trees(pecan and citrus) which they have very handilly trimmed up for me :greengrin: over the course of like a year.
    also we are in Az and we dont get rain :) so no lush pasture.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmmm... :scratch:

maybe her rumen is off ....give her some probiotic paste and baking soda....also pepto...

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    We started the probios again this morning so I will add in the rest.

Any other thoughts guys?

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Jason....this is a question I've wanted to asked about my own goats, but about your Luna also......I was told that just because fecals are clean doesn't mean that they don't have worms.....they are just not laying eggs....but isn't that only in the winter?
    I just did fecals on all my guys and they were all clean for worms, but none of them have great color in their eyelids....my little ones don't surprise me as we have been dealing with cocci in them.....but my older guys are in seperate pen and yard and tested clean and eyelids are pink, but not really, really rosey red pink like Famacha shows.....I do have mine on good minerals too.

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    To my knowledge the worms lay eggs as long as they are going through their life cycles, but here in Az we dont really have a worm issue due to our dryness. I thought about treating for cocci JIK, but my wife said not to. I am gonna do the pepto thing(thought is was for diareah only) and see. I think when she got in the sanitizing solution(bleach water) it killed off most of her rumen :angry: . She really likes it so we have to really keep her away from it. She goes for it as soon as we turn our backs to move a piece of the machiene or turn off the water.

But other than loose poo she seems as normal as can be :shrug: .

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Give the pepto a try, another thing, even though her diet hasn't changed, her system may have, I give all of my does alfalfa pellets, only my milkers get grain, the dry does get an equal amount of the alfalfa and they all have the same browse and hay, just recently after 4 months of getting 1 cup of pellets a day, my 6 year old doe started with clumpy poop, I cut her amount and she cleared back to berries. There may be something in Luna's diet that is suddenly too rich for her. If you are willing to do a "trial and error" try cutting her grain by 1/4 and see if that helps without dropping her production...of course though, increase her hay intake at the same time.

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    they all get free choice alfalfa hay, so I will have to cut her grain.

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My goats don't have worms but will sometimes do that if they get too much grain. :shrug:

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I think we will need to start weighing her grain instead of the eyeball method. She milks about a gallon a day so she should get 2# a day right? 1 at each milkin?

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm, I always thought that you give a pound of grain for each 1 lbs of milk :shrug: The doe puts 1 pound into her condition and the other into milk production. IDK

My mini milkers get 2 cups of grain plus a cup of alfalfa pellets 2 x a day(at each milking) I get 2 quarts from one doe and 3 cups from the other. But I also have other issues going on with deficiencies in copper as well.

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    thats a lot of grain :shocked: .... She would get 8# a day then. she might get like 1.5-2# per milkin now. Or did u mean a cup per pound?

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some goats just never put out berries -- strange as that may be

is the bleach water warm? that might be enticing her to it. My goats love warm water for some reason.

As to what to do for her.

Do check her eyelids - just because you live in AZ does not mean you cant have worms. It never hurts to be safe.

What kind of fecal did they do on her? hear there are a couple kinds youc an do and you have to make sure they do a certain kind (if I knew the name I would tell you but I will know it if i hear it) to get the right results.

If she is fine on the amount of grain you are giving her i wouldnt up it thats for sure.

I never fed teh # per # of milk - I gave what looked right and worked. which was 1coffee can of grain twice a day.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats where I got confused :oops:

From what I have read for lactating does, qouted from the Hoeggars info on nutrition and feeding
    Even if I was to give mine more than what they are getting, I'd have some seriously over conditioned girls, and according to this quote, I should be giving my Binky 3 pounds of grain a day :shocked:
    I would have a serious case of soft poops all the time.

Another thing on giving grain that I read was to not give more than what would be eaten in 20 minutes time.....my goats inhale grain, if I went by that I'd be going through more than 50# in less than 2 weeks!

With all this, it is best to go with what works for your goat,and goes to prove that not everything read is always an accurate perception.

16. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    talk about loose poo :greengrin: I am just gonna cut back on what I have been giving make it like 1-1.5# per milking

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Jason...how is your goat doing ?

18. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Sat she had berries, but then Sun she was back to pooin like a cow :hair: . I think since we had a party on Sat that some of the guests may have snuck her extras :wink: . So I will have to go and get more probios as i noticed I was out this morning.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is to cute for your friends to resist....but poor thing.. :hug: ...at least.... it isn't watery.... :wink: :greengrin:

20. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Nah not watery, just the flop kind :wink: . I think the heat may be part of the issue. Its like 105 here and she came from snowflake where its only like 80ish in the summer :shrug: . I shall keep trying. And stacey we all did the float test for fecals. I have doe several just to super check my findings. I have check the other goats as well and no worms at all, just a couple of cocci eggs like mabey 3 between ALL of em.