Loose poo

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Thanatos, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok this is startin to bother me. Ever since Luna had Cleo her poo has been loose, kinda like horse poo. Its not direah, but loose. I wormed her 3 days after kidding and again yesterday. she still eats EVERYTHING in sight, plays, milks great. Eyes and gums look good.... Is it just that she is taking this long to readjust to the grain? I went from about a pound a day to 2 when we started milkin..... She is still dischargin a little blood to not much just some mucusy blood strings on the udder in mornin. any help?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK refresh us on when she kidded?

Did you go from one pound of grain to two right away or did it take a few days or more to go it? I think she just is not use to getting that much grain. I would reduce the amount of grain back to a pound and maybe just a tad more and increase slowly.

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    She kidded on the 6 of march. Cleo was disbudded last sat. I wormed mommy 3 days after kidding, and again yesterday. I think I just overloaded the rumin. cause yes I just jumped the grain, and added alfalfa hay instead of bermuda. I'm a bad daddy :tears: . None of the other goats are having any issues, but neither did they kid. also the day before I wormed Luna the first time I noticed small threadlike WHITE worms in her poo. They were about 3/4 to 1in long and not much bigger around than thread.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Lori....increasing grain to fast ...can cause scouring... :wink:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH you are NOT a bad daddy, you are a very loving and caring daddy. I would slow down on the grain and take a fecal sample in to make sure you tool care of the worms, and that you treated the right ones.
    Sounds like you did a wonderful job on her.

Just remember that everything we do with goats we do it in baby steps. :dance:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    take some poo into to have it checked for cocci and worms (any dog or cat vet can do this for you) and then if the vet doesnt recomend a wormer or cocci treatment ask us and we can help you :) (that is of course if she does have anything)

Also does do have loose stools for a couple days + after kidding from all the body changes. But this long after kidding can be an indication that something else is going on.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The fact that you SAW worms is a way of knowing that your wormer choice may not be doing the job, I agree that the increase in her grain is the culprit of the "road apples".....but I really would take fecal to the vet and let thm know the type of wormer you have used, they can identify the parasite and reccomend a wormer that hasn't become parasite resistant. As Stacey said, ANY dog/cat vet can do a fecal.

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    She had NEVER been wormed according to her original owner. This was her first worming so I was unaware there may have been an issue(new to goats), but after the worming meds no more worms and she is back to lovley goat berries this morning. So I think it was too much kindness and rich food. I will still worm again in 3 weeks just to finish the regimine. And she is still puttin out right at a gallon a day for me, nice sweet milk. Thanks for the help. and I will still prolly get a fecal check

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Way to go. i am glad she is back to normal.

I sure would get a fecal on her. She might have more worms then you are treating her for if she has never been dewormed, or she just never needed to be treated before.

I have had goats for 9 years, and I have only dewormed 3 times. One was just yesterday. I noticed the eye color was a little pale so I followed goats around until I could get samples from several goats and then I went in and did a fecal float on then and they did have some so I broke open the Safeguard for goats that I have had for a while and gave them all a dose. Most were not at all happy because they have never had it before, so just because she had never been dewormed does not mean that she is full of worms, it is just safe to know one way or the other.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would have her fecal checked before worming again in 3 weeks. When I do follow up wormings I do it 7-10 days later by 3 weeks the cycle has continued so you dont want to wait that long

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I can not believe that. And they way $40.00 to do a fecal? WHAT :GAAH: I thought my $15.00 was bad.
    If they do a fecal they could just be checking for anything that is why they are checking to see if they have any worms or Cocci.

I so feel for you. I do understand the one vet wanting to see the goat before they treat it foe something but NOT for worms. They do need to get a relationship with the client but man.

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok so I just called 5 vets and NONE not event the horse vet would do the test let alone even see Luna. Finally the 4th vet got me in touch with one 25 miles away. They wont just test the poo they want to see her to ($50) then test the poo($40). :hair: can i just worm again in like 2 weeks? She was wormed on Mar 10, then again on sat. The vet sounded great they even disbud with an iron and do emergency calls so still prolly good to get to know them, but thats alot of money for a poo smear.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you tell them it was a goat? youhave to be sly about it and not telll them :wink: But I guess not all vets are the same I know my vets in our area will do a fecal without seeing the goat or animal.

14. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Couldnt figure out how to make sure they tested for the right stuff if I didn't tell, plus goat poo berries and dog is......well you know not berries. :) . But she is back to berries so not as worried and will prolly still get her in to the vet.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so glad she is back to berries...that is good news.. :) ...and it isn't a bad idea to have the vet check her out anyway.... :wink: :hug: :pray:

16. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    OK :hair: :hair: she's back to horse style poo. Everything else is fine Her temp is 102F, eye and gum color are a nice pink(cant get a pic shoulda seen me by myself tryin to get temp...me chasing goat with thermometer hangin out a butt :ROFL: ) So here's my question...The wormer I use obviously works a bit cause she gets back to berries for a day or two. should I get a different wormer, which one, I was using posi pellet cause it has no milk withdrawal. Should I do a bo-se, probiotic, vit b? HELP ME. I cant get her to vet and I dont have a mobile that will do goats. I just don't want her to get REALLY sick. :help: :help:

17. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok I just got some Probiotic in her about 6-7cc i think. Gettin her to take was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I forgot about the space with no teeth :oops: . and she actually kinda stood there while I pushed it in... Then she looked at the tube like "That's all? Can I have more?" I hope this works and my feed store does not carry the bo-se injectable just a crumble. Any thoughts on that?

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I think the probiotic paste dose each line is 5cc .....no need to give her more than 5cc as you will find on instructions....I think it says for 3 days in a row....

I don't see what bo-se will do for scours...please be careful about giving things to your goat ....not knowing what you are treating her for ...you can do more harm than good...you may kill your goat.....Selenium can be toxic.. if your goat doesn't need it...

I am very concerned:
    I strongly recommend that you get a fecal...If this doe is a really good doe... it is well worth spending the extra money ...especially if there are no other options available... :( ..to find out what is wrong..and save her..life..If you have other goats ....then you can treat them and know ..what is spreading within your herd.....and treat accordingly.....With the guessing game...you are taking a very big risk ...most things left untreated for a longer period of time can do other damages to your goat... :hug:

What kind of wormers have you given her?How much?

have you used cocci meds? how much?

19. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I have not used any cocci meds and the wormer i use is called Positive pellets. Its not that I dont wanna spend the cash for a poo test. I dont have a trailer(or a friend with one) to get her to the vet. I have a truck, but how should I transport her in it? The cost of care is not at issue it is vetrinary availibility out here. I thought that I could use any vet or at least a large animal vet, but apparently not :sigh: so I am doin the best possible with the resourses availible.

Now again she is not pooin straight liquid it comes out more log/horse like. She eats and drinks just fine. Gums and eyes are good. Temp this morn was 102f and she has plenty of fight. I am callin the vet again to see if I beg a poo test w/o the goat. Or I will take one of my nigies in and tell em that its her poo. I just was conscerned and was tryin to get something done. I hate not doin anything if there is something to be done.

20. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Oh yeah and as to how much wormer. The posi pellet is a feed so I gave the 100lb dose twice. as per the instructions on the bag.