The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old Saanen doe, Lily, is due to kid any day. She delivered a nice little doeling last July. She had some issues nursing from one side, partly the kid, and partly an inexperienced doe, but after putting her into the milkstand to nurse her kid, I was able to get her nursing from both sides.

About a month ago, she started bagging up and her udder was close to full. For about 2 weeks, her teats have been dripping a bit of milk. Today, I noticed that one side of her udder is much larger and is rather pink. I am worried that she is engorged and I am wondering if I should milk her from that side to prevent mastitis. What would be your best advice? :confused:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have no experience but if I saw this in my doe I would milk her. Just enough to relieve the pressure especially if it's hot. If goats are anything like humans that's a sure sign of mastitis and it's SO PAINFUL! I remember O to well. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I did milk her a bit on one side to relieve things. No mastitis, so I bottled it, just in case her kid needs it. The next morning, I did it again to even things out. On the third day, the small side of her udder was engorged as well, so I left it alone and she kidded a few hours later. I guess one side just bagged up a bit faster than the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts