Lopsided Udder

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by strothergoats, Dec 7, 2007.

1. strothergoats

strothergoats New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Louisiana
    What do you do for a lopsided udder? I have a doe who will be 6yrs old this month. She is on her 5th freshening. Last yr she was late and due to a difficult birth in another doe which ended up in her death....we induced her on day 153. Her udder was fine last yr. This yr she is on day 153 today and only is showing milk in one side of her udder. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Lori

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Does she/did she ever have mastitis?

3. strothergoats

strothergoats New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Louisiana
    no, never. Always fine. Just last kidding we induced her as she was late and she had trouble with the afterbirth. Other than that........nothing

4. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Well then. I don't know what to tell ya.

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I don't have a clue either but my friend's donkey did the same thing....they gave her a shot and it eased the pain or soemthing and the baby helped bring the milk in that side.

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    it might fill once she kids. if not i would put warm towels & massage that side & milk it real good atleast twice a day & it may drop down.

7. strothergoats

strothergoats New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Louisiana
    Thanks so much for all the advice. I am hoping too that once kidded the other side will just come on down. It is filling each hr....so hopefully she will kid soon. :shrug:

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Has she ever nursed kids? That will cause a lopsided udder.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sometimes one side will fill up sooner/faster then the other side. Wait till she kids to see what happens. You can also get some mastitis test strips for cows at the feed store. They are cheap and it doesn't hurt to test her. Just in case you can catch it early. Better sooner then later, it will be easier to fix if thats the problem.
    beth