lopsided udder

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kristi, Jul 10, 2008.

1. kristi

kristi New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Hi, I am a newbie raising goats, and I could use some advise. I have two nubian does that I think may be pregnant they both have recently started to develop udders, but one of them has a lopsided udder. Neither of them have ever been pregnant before. Is it possible for them to develop udders if they are not pregnant? And why is the one lopsided? they both look pregnant to me, but I am really not sure. I will post pictures tomorrow. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Also, they are both about 18 mos old, one of them I saw being bred to the buck back in March, and the other one I'm not so sure about.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Pictures would help out alot so that we can take a look. Also if you can get Cha-Cha pics - we can tell you if they are preggers or not. I will wait for the pics......

3. kristi

kristi New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Here is the first doe, Meadow. She is the older of the two. She is the one with the lopsided udder. Do you think she is pregnant?

4. kristi

kristi New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Here is our other doe, Willow. Does she look pregnant?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes both does look pregnant to me

udder developement is also right on for a late July to august delivery if bred in early march.

Welcome to TGS :wave:

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I agree (in my humble newbie experience), they both look preggers! Congrats! And welcome the TGS. Are you going to bottle feed the kids and milk the does? Or let the dams raise them? How long have you had the does? I had my Cashmere does for a year before I bred them...wanted to get used to them before I brought a buck in.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here if you need help. Lots of experience freely given. It helped me alot to know these folks are here and ready to help in a crisis...although 95% of goat births are uneventful (or so I've been told)!

7. kristi

kristi New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Re: pregnant Nubies

Oooh I am so excited now, I was really hoping they were pregnant! To answer your question Di, I have had my goats since March 2007, I also have a buck and a wether. I absolutly love having goats, they are so much fun!!! this will be a first for all of us here, and I am going to be so nervous. I really hope everything goes smoothly. I will keep everyone updated as to our progress :)

ps. Meadows udder looked less uneven today than yesterday, I wonder if it will even out as she gets bigger. Does anyone know how many babies first timers usually have?

Thanxs,
    kristi

8. kristi

kristi New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    I have never done this before, I would like to bottle feed them.... I think, I will have to do some more research.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hi again, I would just use myself as an example for FF (first fresheners) using my Cashmere does (about the same size as a medium sized Nubian). 3 of the girls had twin births (one stillborn) and 1 had a single.

But, I've heard of Nigerian does that had triplets as FF. Of my Nigerian FF, 1 had a single, one had twins, and I have 2 more due in August (15th and 28th). Not sure about them, of course the earlier one is a little bigger, but you'd expect that.

I will recommend a good website for newbies to read http://www.fiascofarm.com. Lots of info there.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hey and Welcome!! Yep, they do look preggy to me and should be due next month if they were with the buck in March...first timers are unpredictable....I have pygmy/nigi's and only twice have I had a FF kid out a single....3 of my 5 girls had twins their first time her lopsided udder may even out and it should. Be sure you REALLY want to be available to bottle feed round the clock for 6 - 8 weeks before you make the decision to pull kids...and be sure they get moms colostrum for the first 2 days if you do decide to pull them. :)

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first timers tend to have one -- though this year my nigerian doe decided to suprise me with quads on her first kidding :shocked: