The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my doe gave birth to triplets about a week ago and the kids have chosen a “favorite” side which has basically shrunken. Venus, the dam, now has an extremely lopsided udder. What do you guys do to fix this?? We are currently trying to milk the larger side to try and get it back to normal. We are also trying to massage and milk the small side to try to get the milk production back.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I have not had that situation, I just noticed you did not get any replies yet.
From what I read on here, what you are doing, milking the larger side is good. Try and teach the kids the other side.
I will try and get some attention to your issue.
@toth boer goats @happybleats @GoofyGoat

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Teaching them to take the other teat is important. When you see them nursing..pull one to the other teat.. or You can tape off their favorite side forcing them to nurse off the other side. Once they find that side they may continue nursing both sides.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's difficult but you'll get there, I second taping if it becomes necessary. It does take a while to get things evened out, you have to be very persistent and on top of it which it sounds like you are.
Best of luck :)

Yes, fight bac is fine to use. I highly recommend it. It won't hurt the kids at all.
Thank you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh great! So I checked around and no one has the teat spray, FightBac or any kind of udder dip etc. So I order Fight Bac from Amazon bcuz we have Prime and it said it would be here by tomorrow. Then I get a invoice saying not till the 14th!
What else can I do that is okay to use with the baby nursing? Last night I just used baby wipes then milked her right side out bcuz the baby will only nurse on the left and she was getting engorged.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh great! So I checked around and no one has the teat spray, FightBac or any kind of udder dip etc. So I order Fight Bac from Amazon bcuz we have Prime and it said it would be here by tomorrow. Then I get a invoice saying not till the 14th!
What else can I do that is okay to use with the baby nursing? Last night I just used baby wipes then milked her right side out bcuz the baby will only nurse on the left and she was getting engorged.
I think you can either keep going with the baby wipes for now or look up some homemade stuff with essential oils since they're antibacterial.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts