Lori, talk about "parti" colored fiber goats.

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by Di, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I wanted to talk about the multi colored Cashmere goats, but figured this was the better place for it. You mentioned in my other post about your multi colored kid? I read somewhere that patterned coats are frowned upon. I suppose that has to do with needing to keep the fiber colors seperated for processing. The herd that I got my buck from (Green Fence Farm) had quite a few that were colored like that. Not the parents of my buck, they were solid colored. I read something once that said the more domesticated animals become the more variation in coat colors? How will you handle her fiber? I haven't processed any of my cashmere yet, but does most of it get dyed anyway? There doesn't seem to be that much difference in the color of the colored cashmere anyway...the black is not really black, black. I would think you could card the fiber till it was nicely blended and have a nice heathered color?

I just talked to a lady, who called to talk about goats, who is going to put me in touch with a group of ladies that get together a couple times a month that spin and teach others to spin! I'm so excited! :wahoo:

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh, also, my little black buckling has a few white hairs in the "pole" area. Is that actually a pattern starting? I was thinking about keeping a black buckling if I got one as this group is out of Bambino, who I sold this year. Should I let him go because of this white?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey DI,

Ok you want the goats to be one solid color (that is being combed). Some spinners do nt want the difference in the colors and there fore it drops the value of you fiber as a whole.
    I had a beautiful boy that I kept as buck but the white on his side got bigger and bigger. I went ahead at 9 months and had the vet castrate him because I did not want that in my herd. I had him in a wether class and Peter Goth was judging and was saying how beautiful her was and how wonderful his fiber was and that we should of kept him as a buck. :GAAH: I was so kicking myself in the butt. Then he walked to the other side and saw the white on his side and put him in last place. Then said he had to agree that weathering him was the best thing so it was not passed on. He said even thought his fiber was beautiful but the mix in colors was not good.

I had Kris McGuire tell me in the show rings last year (I was her ring assistant) that the two colors are not that bad as long as you can comb them separate and have them bagged separate for the show ring. But We have found that I will not keep any goats that has two color differences that noticeable if it is on their body. Legs that is totally different and same with the head. I have a doe that is white and all of the sudden she had clack on her head. I thought it was grease and dirt and I could not get it off :angry: WELL ,no the color does not wipe off. She has never thrown colored babies.

If you look at my web site and see the 2009 babies, Penny Lane and Zyla both have babies that are black with white on there bellies. They are gone. I will not keep them but I am wondering if that is the Buck Cupid? So because of that I am selling him. I do not want to have a buck that will do that. (I am not 1005 sure that it is him I just do not want to take a chance.)

Have you ever spun? I learned a few years ago but I have not done it since. :hair: I really want to learn. AGAIN

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    No, I have never learned to spin, that's why I was so happy to learn there is a group that is willing to teach people. I have been on ebay lately shopping for spinning wheels. I had a woman tell me that she bought an Ashford, but couldn't "get it" so she sold that one and bought a different brand (sorry, it'll come to me), and now she spins alot. So, I'll be learning soon.

Interesting, about the color, I don't want to have the mixed color either, so, I'll just have to experiment a little and cull when necessary.

Thanks, too bad more people don't get into these fiber goats, they are such sweet animals.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a Ashford spinning wheel. To bad it is just collecting dust. :shrug:

6. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I spin and I like the variation in color. It makes a beautiful yarn. I know there are others out there like myself. It creates a marbling. I don't dye anything I spin. I prefer the natural colors and often find myself so humbled by God's creations.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I agree with you! I've seen some, well, let's say "vivid" colors some folks dye their yarn...and I like color...but some fibers should be left to their natural beauty imo.

So, Lori, do you sell all your cashmere "raw"? I saw some "Chinese cashmere" roving, white that was selling for $98.00 for 8 ounces! I thought, "wow, I should take better care of my fiber!

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Di I sell allmy fiber to a lady in Michigan. I do get it dehaired and cleaned and it goes to her in a cloud form and she does whatever with it. She wants it all separate.
    I do totally understand about the natural colors. But if you show, that is a fault and they look at that fiber as worth lees the one color. I do get $13.00 a zo from my fiber once it is cleaned and dehaired.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ha! I'm going out to comb some goats today! Now where did I put last years cashmere? :idea:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you not show? I have last years Cashmere in bags, and i have to get it sent off to be cleaned and processed.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    No, I haven't even been to a fiber show, let alone show. I'll have to see if there are any around here. But, we started a business this year and I've been really busy with getting that organized. I probably won't have time for my "hobbies" soon. :sigh: