Losing Hair

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BrittRobGoatMom, May 20, 2018.

1. BrittRobGoatMom

BrittRobGoatMom New Member

May 18, 2018
    13 weeks old normal pee/poop, very small compared to others and losing fur around eyes and nose. Eats and grazes but isn’t active like others either. Vet put him on penicillin for 5 days but no change. Please any advice.

Attached Files:

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh dear, poor little thing. He looks quite thin.

The hair loss appears to be mites (a burrowing skin parasite). You need to get injectable Ivermectin and give him 3 subcutaneous injections each 10 days apart.

Did the vet do a fecal analysis to check for internal parasites (worms and coccidia)?

Did he have a fever when the vet put him on Pen?

goatblessings likes this.

3. BrittRobGoatMom

May 18, 2018
    The vet didn’t find any mites but did treat him for some with the injection. He didn’t have a fever the two times at the vet and we’ve done three fecal samples and all come back fine. The breeder mentioned giving him a bath using dandruff shampoo but I worry it will be too hard on him since goats don’t regulate temperature well. He is very small for 13 weeks only 6 lbs now. I’m so lost at what to do. He eats, pees and poops but isn’t gaining any weight and losing fur daily!

4. shoafplantation

shoafplantation Member

May 18, 2018
    Lexington NC
    I agree with SalteyLove. Looks like mite issue I have seen in the past. SC Ivermectin.

catharina likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Healthy goats can regulate their temp just fine. But obviously something is going wrong with this little guy.

6. BrittRobGoatMom

May 18, 2018
    The vet already treated him for mites. Should I call back and ask for him to re-evaluate him? I hate seeing him like this.

7. ksalvagno

Have you tried a zinc ointment being careful not to get it in his eyes? I wonder if he isn't absorbing nutrients properly.

catharina likes this.
  8. BrittRobGoatMom

May 18, 2018
    He put an ointment on his neck and shot last vet visit. What could they give him or how the vet diagnosis if he has a nutrient deficiency?

9. ksalvagno

What kind of ointment? A blood test.

10. BrittRobGoatMom

May 18, 2018
    Here is the last vet receipt that shows the ointment and shots. He goes back tomorrow. I’m frustrated with vet because he hasn’t really given me a real answer on what is wrong. He said next step is $150 blood test that will either say he’s fine or should be put down bc of genetic issue.

Attached Files:

11. ksalvagno

He may have internal problems that can't be fixed. But get some diaper rash ointment and put that on.

12. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    That vet receipt says they have the Ivermectin orally. That will not treat mites. Has to be injected for mites which can only be seen on a skin scrape under a microscope.

13. BrittRobGoatMom

May 18, 2018
    I’ll be sure and ask him for the injection tomorrow. Thank you for all your help.

14. BrittRobGoatMom

May 18, 2018
    Update—vet did several skin scrapping and it is not mites. They did a blood test which shows very low protein levels which would indicate a gastro issue. He said because of his lack of weight that he believes the humane thing to do is put him down. Ive been crying the last hour. Breaks my heart we can’t fix him but I obviously don’t want him to suffer.

15. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have a good veterinarian and be thankful for that.

BrittRobGoatMom likes this.
  16. I had a mite problem with one girl. Vet thought it was the mite that is under the skin and doesn't show up on a skin scraping. He said he would have to do skin plugs to be sure but didn't really recommend we do that. Her skin was a mess - ridges and dry and flaky. Did 3 doses of Ivermectin SQ once a week - let it go a couple of weeks and I had to repeat it. They are pretty resistant. I messaged aloe vera jell into her skin daily (inexpensive bottle from Walmart) and that did wonders. Softened her skin - and helped clear up the flakes. I tried Nu Stock on her tail area where it was bad and she broke out in red sores where I had put it so won't do that again. Also a warm bath with our homemade goat milk soap. She is looking good now - shiny and skin soft. Hope it stays that way this winter. She could just have very sensitive skin compared to the other does.