The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week, I have noticed that patience with my goats has.been dwindling. It all came to a head today and I screamed at them and scared them all into the shelter. Does this ever happen to anyone else? I feel guilty for telling, but they are so rambunctious sometimes.

·
558 Posts
Sounds like something else might be bothering you and maybe you are releasing some built up tension on them? I know I find myself raising my voice to my "human" kids when I am stressed sometimes. Recognizing it for what it is and finding another way let it out may help.

Sounds like no harm done...everyone has a breaking point. Sit in the barn with them and tell them your problems....Im sure one of them will crawl into your lap and listen :p

·
Registered
29,956 Posts
I agree with goatie girl...sometimes we can not handle the goat antics when other things are on our mind...but honestly there has been times I wanted to really smack a goat ot two..they can get pretty pushy and sometimes you just want them to behave..the wonderful thing is they forgive us when we loose our temper..I can sit out there and be coverd in goats and their kisses in no time.... forgive your self...they goats will recover...and as goatie girl said..go talk with them..they are great listeners..

·
14,615 Posts
Oh no I never get mad uh uh not me.
I have a husband to take it out on.:D Poor guy.
In my case it's one of the lgds. He will not poop away from the goat area. I try to chase him with a shovel of his logs yelling 'NO POOP!" but he just doesnt get it.
But when he does do it where he's spose to the neighbors must think Im nuts praising "Good poop Sheriff!"
But I do hear ya, goats can be exasperating at times.

·
Registered
29,956 Posts
Nancy ...love your dogs name..so fitting ; )

·
1,524 Posts
All my animals know when they have pushed me to the limit when I start yelling at them. They also know that when they reach that point, they need to cease the behavior and leave the general area or face the consequences. The only ones who stick around after the scream is my dogs, who sit and laugh at me.

·
Super Moderator
82,243 Posts
Only when an adult Goat, seems to find their way in the creep feeder and has a smorgasbord dinner. They can get in, but I have a terrible time trying to get them to go back out.
Or when they do not want to go into the barn, So, I do yell out at them, sometimes bad words blurt out, shameful I know. But sometimes they get on my nerves. :(

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
:eek: Yep you are not alone.

I have one that just pushes my buttons all the time. She tries to push me over to get to the grain when I am dishing it up, or she jumps on top of the grain area. She is the one only that does it. OR she gets her horns stuck in the fence, and she yells at me to come get her out. GRRR. I am putting chicken wire up to stop uer but in the mean time I am putting a PVC pipe on her horns to stop it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have definitely felt the same way at times so you're not alone. It can get frustrating but then you look at them and can't stay mad lol :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Me? Yell at the sweet, innocent, little goats? :angelgoat: You bet I do! Usually it doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen. I've also been known to cuss at them from time to time. I often wonder how many new cuss words I've taught the neighbors. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I do the same thing every once in a while! I put A goat in the pen and 2 come out. We play that game for 10 mins! Really irks me!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
IMO, if you never get mad at your goats you are an absolute angel! :) Yes, I've lost my temper before.
I've found that arranging everything efficiently and having a good routine really cut down on the mishaps, and I get mad less often.

·
Owner of 4 La Manachas.
303 Posts
Sounds like it is time for a hot bath, scented candles and meditation time. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Just this morning I had a good holler (and a smack or two) to hand out to some of my goats and to my horse. The goats were all crowding the gate and every time I went to open the carabiner I use to hook it shut they would jump up and stomp my hands. I think I yelled something about letting them all starve and whacked one with my wooden spoon. Then once I got through the gate they kept standing on their over turned feed pans so I couldn't flip them over, I couldn't set the bucket of feed down without them spilling everything everywhere, and I have limited time before work so i was getting pretty irate and threatened to send them all to freezer camp whilst brandishing my wooden spoon.

The horse decided to try and stuff his head in the feed bucket I was carrying (he sooooo knows better than that!!!) and made me drop it. I made myself all big and scary by yelling and flailing my arms and he about ran backward. He is usually a VERY good boy so he is not used to seeing me in my "RESPECT MY AUTHORI-TY!!!" mode. I made him stand back about 10 feet from the feed pan while I dumped his feed into it and wait until I gave him permission to come get it. Need to nip that disrespect in the bud with an animal the size of a horse, for sure!!

I even had to get stern with the bottle babies. They are being weaned, had their last bottle two days ago and they think they are dying. They were SO disrespectful and were trying to bite my hands.

Yeah, I think there was ONE goat in the whole barn who didn't get yelled at today.

That is NOT the normal situation around here, it only happens once in a great while, but when it does.... wow.

I always apologize and explain myself to them afterwards, which has to make people think I am crazy. "I am sorry, guys, I don't like yelling at you, but if you stomp on mama's hands while she is trying to get the gate open she can't work, and if she can't work who will pay for your food?" lol.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I always apologize and explain myself to them afterwards, which has to make people think I am crazy. "I am sorry, guys, I don't like yelling at you, but if you stomp on mama's hands while she is trying to get the gate open she can't work, and if she can't work who will pay for your food?" lol.
I do this too. :laugh:

I lose it sometimes. Usually it's when someone is being a bully to someone else; drives me completely up the wall.

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Warpony! That's what I am saying. They were trying.to get out of the hate. Purposely stepping om my feet and over turn buckets! They were testing me!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts