Losing Sid, he's getting worse

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Sid presented with just a depressed demeanor the other day. I immediately though silent pneumonia due to the weather and changes in humidity. So I started him on LA200. We've had him for maybe a month and he use to run with two does who he'd already bred. Here he moved in with the bucks and saw all those does and went crazy horny. To put it mildly. He's got all my boys in full rutt now too. Well this went on for a while until he got depressed. I had a doeling also present depressed and started her on LA200 as well. However, she almost immediately got her appetite back and is back to normal, just finishing out her treatment.

Sid however, even after being dewormed has gotten steadily worse. At times he'll nibble greens I bring him, or a little pellet. Today though he's definitely down. I didn't think of bladder stones till just this morning so I gave him an oral dose of ammonium chloride though I have seen him pee some. I only noticed as he was finishing up so I don't know if its full stream or dribbling.

I have moved him up to separate pen for himself that's fully shaded with no other goats to compete with anything. I brought him a bucket of water and he guzzled it for a minute. I'm really worried I'm going to lose him. When I carried him up here I thought I did lose him with how he just rolled over limp on his side. I straitened him up and he started acting normal some. He did stand on his own, though he's wobbly.

I'm at a loss of guessing. If the antibiotic isn't working and the deworming isn't working and its probably too soon to be sure with the ammonium chloride. What else can it be? All my other goats are fine. None of the bucks have any problems and the junior boys are in the breeding pen and they're doing great. :pray: I don't think he's going to make it. I need all the prayers we can get for him.

2. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh my goodness... not Sid. I am so sorry. I am calling you now.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I really wouldn't know what it could be, sounds like you got the bases covered as to what it could be. Get some probiotics into him and some nutridrench, it's good that he is drinking, keeping him hydrated would be the best. Were you able to get a temp on him?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    take his temp -- always do that before antibiotics.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Tina called and I've given him some Vit B and sugar water. He's perked up some already. Moved around his pen a good bit on his own.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good to hear Ashley, I hope he is on the mend.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray ...for him.. to get better....sounds like you are doing all you can for him... :hug: :pray:

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I had a young doe exhibit those signs. We gave her fastrack for a couple days and she perked up. We thought that we were going to loose her.

:( I'll be praying for him. :pray: :hug:

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    How is Sid doing today? :shrug:

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Sid died overnight. He seemed to be feeling better yesterday afternoon and evening. He was up a lot. We continued the aggressive treatments since we believed them to be working. I think it was a urinary blockage and I didn't know till it was progressed. I never saw him pee again. This morning when I went to check on him he was gone. Thank you to everyone for all the concern and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I had him exactly one month and I do believe it was me overfeeding him and it lead to his death. I feel horrible. They were so rutty I was worried about them getting enough to eat so I endulged and gave a bit more feed. I shouldn't have. I hope others can learn from my mistake. I've reduced feed to the bucks now and upped the mineral with ammonium chloride. The other bucks are doing great. If they even remotely act off, they will be given the treatment of ammoium chloride too. I've dealt with this once before about 2 years ago with a junior buck who got stones but we caught it early and he was able to pass them though painfully. I thought I'd learned to monitor buck feeds better then. I guess I will now. :tears:

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am so sorry you lost Sid. :hug: Last I knew he was up and walking around. Now to hear this. I know you were trying everything you could think of when I spoke with you last. Sometimes it happens no matter how much effort we put in trying to save them. Don't blame yourself, you don't really know the cause. It could have been numerous things. :shrug:
    I know you only had him for a short time but I am sure you were already well attached. I am so sorry for you. :hug:

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry ..you lost Sid.....you did everything you could for him..... :( :hug:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry you lost him. :hug: :hug: :tears:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry you lost him. :grouphug:

If you only had him a month do you really think UC? I would lean more to Entro. Was it a newer grain? Was it possibly bloat? That is killing goats here left and right the vet said because of the weird weather we are having here also.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    We have actually changed to a different feed recently but I do believe I'm going back on the other feed. I don't know, his stomache was distended this morning, but it wasn't yesterday at all. I guess it could have distended overnight and killed him when we were sure he was doing better yesterday.

16. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh no- I am so sorry you lost him.
    Try not to get so down on yourself :hug:

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thank you to everyone who's helped and cares. There are some who don't and are cruel out there. I'm glad that I have the rest of you here to lean on when I need it. Thank you again.

18. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ashley I am so very sorry :hug: Like Tina said... don't blame yourself. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do :hug: :hug:

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry Ashley :hug: You did what you could.

20. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry! :cry: I have delt with stones in of my wethers. They are nasty! We even lost one. Raising goats is is trial and error. As long as you try your best, that's what matters. Again, I am so sorry. :hug: