The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was a sad day at Heart and Soul Farm. Our first babies since we got into goats looked like they were on their way as of 5:30 pm last night. We missed the first birth around 6:45 am (we checked her at midnight and again at 3:45 am and nothing was happening) but not by much because the little doe was still warm but lifeless. No heart beat, massaged but nothing... then the next one started coming but was breech. When it finally came out it was deformed so stillborn was a mercy for that one, a doe also. I realize that this happens in nature all the time but darn it, we were so excited to have a Christmas baby. Sad and heartbroken for mama, shes never had an issue before according to her former owner. This is life but wanted to share with others that'll understand.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'm really sorry. I have a young doe aborting right now. She's not far along, glad to say. I wish one of your doelings had been OK.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Not entirely. I did not want her bred this year, and did not in fact think she was bred. I think her size has something to do with it. And maybe because I was not feeding her like a bred doe.

I'm not really sorry she is not carrying to term. But I am concerned and keeping an eye on her activity and diet. So far she seems fine.

Reactions: Goatrude

·
Super Moderator
82,617 Posts
Always remember, once labor begins, the 30 minute rule. Anytime a does gets to the 30 minute mark, and no kids are on the ground, she needs help. I will go in sooner than that, but that is just me.

It sounds like you waited too long to get the rest of them out. 30 minutes or less per kid born, no more than that. :(

I am truly sorry for the losses. :(

Watch the does udder. Milk her out so she isn't overly full and busting at the seems. You can collect some colostrum and freeze it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Always remember, once labor begins, the 30 minute rule. Anytime a does gets to the 30 minute mark, and no kids are on the ground, she needs help. I will go in sooner than that, but that is just me.

It sounds like you waited too long to get the rest of them out. 30 minutes or less per kid born, no more than that. :(

I am truly sorry for the losses. :(

Watch the does udder. Milk her out so she isn't overly full and busting at the seems. You can collect some colostrum and freeze it.
I wasn't sure how long to wait since she wasn't having strong or close contractions each time I checked her. The only clues were mucous dripping and her tendons had softened. Once she began strong contractions for the 2nd doe it happened within 10 - 15 minutes, i helped her since it was breech but otherwise quick. The first one i wasn't there unfortunately or I might've been able to do something...Thank you for the advice, I have more does that are bred!
I am planning to get the colostrum as soon as I get home and freeze it in bags, then keep milking her just in case we have any other issues with the soon to pop others!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Oh dear, I'm so sorry that your first goat birth was like this.

If the first doeling looked normal and the dam had cleaned her well, I would strongly suspect selenium deficiency. The kids are born barely alive and weak. What do you offer for mineral supplements?

As for the 2nd - Any dewormer or meds used during early pregnancy?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh dear, I'm so sorry that your first goat birth was like this.

If the first doeling looked normal and the dam had cleaned her well, I would strongly suspect selenium deficiency. The kids are born barely alive and weak. What do you offer for mineral supplements?

As for the 2nd - Any dewormer or meds used during early pregnancy?
Before I knew she was pregnant ( I bought her and her former owner wasn't sure either because she'd been with a new buck) I gave her safeguard 10/22. This was all done before she started to show. I have a mineral block for goats only and she was given a copper bolus 12/03

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before I knew she was pregnant ( I bought her and her former owner wasn't sure either because she'd been with a new buck) I gave her ivermectin. This was all done before she started to show. I have a mineral block for goats only and she was given a copper bolus.
To add I bought her 10/01 to give more info

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Safeguard did not cause this so no worries there.

Do you have other pregnant does?

I strongly recommend you purchase selenium oral gel or get Bo-Se injections from a vet to give to all the animals in your herd. But most especially if there are other pregnant does.

Goats don't really have big rough to guess like a cow and they really need a lot of minerals and mineral deficiencies can cause so many different issues. It's hard for them to get enough from blocks and licks. Loose minerals (which are sand consistency) have a lot higher mineral levels and are way easier for goats to consume. You leave them out in a small dish up off the ground free choice (as much as they want to eat.) In MOST herds, even with loose minerals, they need additional selenium and copper so copper boluses are a great move on your part!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts