The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from work Friday expecting to see everyone in their place. The goats in the field grazing along with the chickens, the dogs in their pen anxiously waiting my arrival, and the cats napping lazily in the hay loft. Instead I walked into a nightmare. The dogs got loose and one of them killed two of my doelings. Peanut was already passed when I reached her, but Hazel was breathing barely. I knew their was no saving her at this point, but held onto hope just in case. I loaded her in my car and drove 80mph to the vet. She was fading quickly in the back seat of my car and when we arrived at the vet she passed on the table, with her passing went a piece of my heart. Waylon, our dog of 2 years, was the killer. We have never had an issue with him attacking any of our animals, but he was slightly more aggressive than our sweetheart Lilah. I rehomed him to a family with no other animals this morning hoping that he lives out his life happily with them. We are still mourning the loss of our little ones :( We have lost 3 goats in one month. One to cocci and two to this attack. I was traumatized and it was so so easy to blame myself...I should've double checked the fastenings on the dogs fence, I should've known Waylon wouldn't do good with the goats, if I wouldn't have stopped at the grocery store on my way home this might not have happened. I learned that this will only cause me more pain. It was so easy to just want to say "I can't do this anymore, no more farming for me", but then my papaw reminded me that quitters never win and winners never quit...so here I am...still mourning, but determined to carry on. We, as farmers, easily slip to feeling like failures when we lose an animal, but it happens. The more that you have the more you will lose...it is nature. I hope that no one reading this will ever find themselves questioning their abilities as animal owners, I hope that you will stand tall and carry on with your farming knowing that you did everything you could and that if it was meant to happen it is going to happen anyways. Unfortunately, that will never take away the pain, never erase the memories of seeing your babies slip away. Wishing peace and comfort to everyone :love:

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Im so sory for your loss..with every loss there is a lesson learned...carry it with you through the years of raising animals and each loss will not be for nothing

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
It's a horrible feeling, but those goats were loved, and we can only do the best we can at the time. That's all anyone can do. We love them, we care for them, and we learn sometimes hearbreaking lessons. I am so sorry for your losses. I know what it's like to want to give up now and then. I have severe anxiety, and that can make doing anything, from leaving the house, to owning animals, extremely difficult at times. But they have given me so much, and taught me so much. I hope things get much easier from now on for you. :hug:

·
8,168 Posts
The "what if's" can tear you heart apart. You are very wise to not fall into that trap. We all do the best we can, and
sometimes, nature has different ideas. So very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I'm so sorry! :( Don't blame yourself, don't "what if..." You'll just make everything worse for yourself. God meant for this to happen. It's all for a reason, it's all to make something else better. It may look like a terrible thing now, but I urge you to take a step back. Look at the bigger picture. You will eventually find that there was a greater reason for this.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
God meant for this to happen. It's all for a reason, it's all to make something else better. It may look like a terrible thing now, but I urge you to take a step back. Look at the bigger picture. You will eventually find that there was a greater reason for this.
You have got to be freaking kidding! Are you insane?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I too am very sorry for your loss.. I know how hard it is :( :hug:

I'm so sorry! :( Don't blame yourself, don't "what if..." You'll just make everything worse for yourself. God meant for this to happen. It's all for a reason, it's all to make something else better. It may look like a terrible thing now, but I urge you to take a step back. Look at the bigger picture. You will eventually find that there was a greater reason for this.
I agree with you 100% 'The Lord gives and The Lord takes away'(<---it is in Psalms I believe..) when I lost 'my' horse (she wasn't mine.. But sure felt like it!) my mom said that same thing to me... I don't know why The Lord took her from us... But He does... Someone could have gotten hurt, or killed while ridding her.. And He prevented it... Or it could be something else.. I just haven't figured it out yet.. ;) haha..

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
You have got to be freaking kidding! Are you insane?
Its not insane to believe there is a greater Power...each to thier own belief...Lets keep it friendly. ;)

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Dear goatfarmer

I am sorry if I upset you in any way by my post. I really didn't mean to say anything mean or hurtful, and I'm really sorry if it came off that way! I was just trying to share insights from my life.... I know not everyone believes in God, but I thought if you did it might be helpful. So sorry for your losses again! :hug:

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Unfortunately this is something we learn as "farmers". Doesn't make it any easier tho. We've had to "rehome" several dogs because of this....and a few cats went to the rainbow bridge too for killing chicks. It sounds hard-hearted, but this is just part of life. Maybe not an easy part, but it is part of it. You will eventually learn to cry it out (done that my share of times) and then move on. My daughter is facing it again as we prepare for our OLD horse to have to be put down sometime in the next year or 2. Words don't make it any better, but it does let you know that someone acknowledges your pain.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss :( Don't blame yourself either , its not going to change things. Its easier said then done , I know , believe me.
But we can't learn or move on if we continue to set blame on ourselves or others. What we can do is make things better then before and learn from any mistakes if they were made.
:hug:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts