The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my 1st experience with kidding and pregnant goats. Ok, so Saturday morning at 2:00 my ND finally kidded. It was her 1st and she threw triplets (2 does, 1 buck)! I got her a month before she was due and she had her CDT already. I feed her grain (2 1/2 cups a day), beet pulp (2-2 1/2 cups a day), alfalfa, hay, pasture, minerals and the occasionally treat (goat treats). All babies came out very weak and boney. Although once we cleaned them up and warmed them they were up and walking about screaming! We tried so hard to get them to suckle but they just hold the teat in their mouth. I gave them 1/2 cc of Nutri-drench and a little colostrum. The only one that even acted normal and suckled was the last doe that came out, she's the only one that made it. I was so heartbroken to lose those 2 babies, I feel like I could have done something but they refused to swallow or suckle. I was to afraid to shove a tube down their tiny little throat, or to do it wrong. I desperately want to avoid this in the future. Why were they so skinny/boney? Was I feeding her enough? The momma weighed 57 lbs right before she kidded. Was the move to a new place too stressful? I'm new to goats and kidding. I live in SW GA. Oh, the little doeling that made it is doing good and getting her milk, she has a full belly all the time. She is 7 days old now and still is a little weak acting (I'm comparing that to other kids I've seen online that are that age). She jumps around and tries to play but she still doesn't have any meat on her bones. Is this normal? Please, any advise is helpful.

·
Super Moderator
59,931 Posts
Was the mom given a BoSe shot when she got her CDT shot? It sounds to me like mom and the kids could have used some selenium (BoSe). Your little doeling could use a shot of BoSe now.

Have you had a fecal done? I would also have a fecal done to include coccidia on mom and treat appropriately if anything is found.

I'm also thinking that mom could use a copper bolus too. What mineral are you using?

I'm sorry you lost your kids.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Selenium was my concern. I bought Bovi-sera thinking that was BoSe, found out it wasn't once I already ordered it, never used it. I have to order it online, thats what sucks, my area is terrible and they don't have anything. They get free choice 'goat' mineral from Tractor Supply. I am in a selenium deficient area, found that out yesterday. I live in a very small town and people don't care about their animals like I do (they're my kids) so its very hard to get any supplies or information. My vet is also very unreliable and acts like he knows goats but I can tell he doesn't, he brushes off everything I ask. He is supposed to be doing my disbudding but that is making me nervous. So, I'm thinking of doing my own fecal analysis. It just hurts, I'm always so careful and do so much research, I hated losing those babies. They were so pretty too and all had blue eyes, the buck was white and reddish-brown speckled and the little doe was tricolored broken with white. The one left is tan and white, she's super cute. I've included a picture of the babies and the one still alive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
59,931 Posts
Is there any way you can find another vet, even if you have to travel a bit?

You can get the selenium paste but the injectible BoSe works best. You can only get BoSe from a vet. For right now, you could get selenium tablets for humans and crush it up and add some vitamin E to it. I'm not sure on dosage since I have BoSe though.

That is really tough when you want to be a responsible goat owner and no one else around you cares.

I'm assuming the mineral is Manna Pro Goat Mineral and that is a good mineral. You will probably have to supplement some copper as well as the selenium but unfortunately, you have to figure out how often you need to supplement since it is different for every farm.

I supplement copper 3-4 times per year and I supplement selenium with BoSe shots twice a year. But that is what I have found with trial and error that works for my farm.

·
Administrator
85,660 Posts
Don't blame yourself, sometimes things happen beyond our control, no matter what we may do.

A Bo-se shot would of helped. I do recommend getting some.

What I do is, after one of my boer momma is finished kidding, I take a 12 cc syringe, milk colostrum into it, grab one kid at a time, put my index finger in the mouth, mimicking a teat, kinda pulling it slightly in and out of the mouth, but leaving it in the mouth, to encourage the suck reflex and feed very slowly, at the back corner of the mouth.I fill the syringe 3 to 4x, then the kid is fine for a while after. I go out every 2 hours and test the kid on momma, to see if the kid will feed. If not, I will syringe feed. I would maybe try a 6cc syringe for your little ones. Giving them a couple of syringes of colostrum.
When I do this, I ensure colostrum is given, there is no guessing. If a kid isn't catching on, with the suck reflux I keep trying the finger and syringe every couple of hours and try the kid on the teat as well. Tickle the kid along the tailhead back area. open the kids mouth and place it over the teat and gently squeeze a tiny squirt of milk into the mouth, tickle the tailhead. Repeat until the kid latches on. It may take time with the weaker kids. If you do not know how to tube them, then syringe feeding, is a good alternative. Be careful not to get it into the lungs, feed slowly with lots of breaks. If the kid coughs, stop and let the baby cough. When the kid stops , continue. Have the kid standing up. I have the head level.

·
14,730 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss :( We've had babies selenium deficient before, and once we got selenium e gel into them they bounced back really fast.
You can get seleniun e gel for goats from Jeffers.com for about $6-8 a tube and it'll last you a while. You can give it to newborns and you can give it to the mom's. Our does will pretty much just eat it right off my finger, which is one thing I love about it, no ouchy shots, or fussing, it's just another treat to them :)

BUT, we did switch to using BoSe on our does/adults just recently. It lasts longer in their system than the gel. I was told they only need BoSe 2-3 times a year, most people around here that I've talked with about it say they give it right before breeding season, then again 4 weeks before the doe is due.
So that's what we're going to do.
BUT, we'll give kids selenium e gel, and let the mom's have a taste of it after they kid.
I WILL give a newborn a shot, but if I can put some gel on my finger and put it in their mouth...it's a lot easier for me :)

Things happen, please don't beat yourself up about it. Definitely learn how to tube a baby though, you never know when you'll need to do it. It's not something anyone likes to do, you always worry about hurting them, but it can be life or death. You can do it :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please buy a set of feeding tubes for the future. I lost a doeling last year which I'm convinced I could have saved if I would have had a tube at home. I was afraid to do it too. I ordered this year from Hoegger supply and the instructions are super.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts