The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my name is Frank,I recently lost one of my pair of Nigerian wethers. He was thirteen yrs old and I bottle fed the since they were a week old. I couldn't imagine how devastating this has been. A couple of days ago I bought a Nigerian doe to keep my remaining wether company. He was as devastated as I was. I'm glad I found this group and look forward to starting my own herd.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have a question I know very little about does. I've had wethers for thirteen years. I picked her up on Friday last week. She kidded in march. She was last milked last Thursday only about an oz. she was taken off of grain right before I got heart( beautiful little doe I might add) I tried milking her and she wouldn't drop her milk. I want to dry her up. I'm not sure if I should continue trying to milk her. She isn't bursting or in any discomfort that I can tell. She has only been with me a few days. Can it be stress from the move and new surroundings. She has excellent milk stand manners . Any advice ??

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
So sorry you lost such a long time buddy :hug:
If you want to milk your new doe, you can try feeding her on the stand and massaging her udder gently while bumping her as a kid would.
If you want to dry her off, give no grain at all and just let her go, get her on the stand and check her udder for heat and hardness every other day to ensure she dries off with no problems with mastitis.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much. The new Doe has lifted me up as well as my remaining wether. He perked up the first few hours she was home. It's quite remarkable how much jasper my wether mourned as I did the loss of a friend and this little fire ball keeps him going

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Fresh mint, parsley, sage, and no grain will help her dry up if that is your wish. If you want to milk her, I'd suggest massaging her udder with a warm peppermint oil compress -- it helps them let their milk down. I am so sorry for you and Jasper. All of my goaties are family to me, and to each other. The boys especially seem to form tight friendships with each other, and mourn deeply when they miss their friends. Th does mourn as well, I think they are just more introverted about it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've not experienced the loss of a goat yet, but I dread the day I have to face it. I can't even imagine..... My heart goes out to you.

We're glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you and your goats. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it was one of THE hardest things to deal with I was with him evert morning and every night. Feeding and taking care of him. Playing with him. He was a big baby and thrived on attention. My wife has a preschool on the property and he was raised and always surrounded by kids. It was sudden I don't think he suffered at all. He was at the vet a couple of months ago for routine shots and checkup. In perfect health, he just got old on me. Thanks everyone for you compassion

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Awe im so sorry...I know you will miss him ..Im glad you were quick to get your remaining Wether a friend...I also want to say KUDOS..Your wether had a long life at 13..I know some can live longer but 13 is wonderful...Good for you!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts