Lost Another one

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by newmama30+, Feb 8, 2011.

1. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    :cry: Yesterday our miniature colt picked up Jackson by the neck, he seemed to be somewhat off at first after it happened, but then seemed back to his normal self when I went out to feed him and his brother last night. Well when I went out this AM he was dead, I don't know if it was shock from what happened with the mini horse or if he got to cold last night. Tonight when I went out to feed, Frost, Jackson's brother didn't want to come out of the dog house he was standing at the back of it screaming, I got him out to feed, and he only drank a small part of his bottle. We still had the rest of the chores to do so I left him out til we got done then brought him into the house. His temp wouldn't even register on the thermometer. I feel absolutely horrible, both of these babies, have been bottle babies and were in the house for a time due to it being so drastically cold the last month, we had them out in the barn when the weather was warmer. They are/were on Cocci prevention, no runny poo, eating hay and grain, had water, were still getting a full bottle at night, and had access to hay/grain during the day. I still have 17 more does due from now until May. I can't seem to keep kids alive past 8-12 weeks this year. Oh and these guys did get colostrum, and do have a draft free spot in the barn to go to. The horse's are leaving on Saturday. Any tips on what I am doing wrong? This is the 4th kid out of 7 that I have had so far that has died, 2 I know why, Repete and Jackson I have no clue on. And Frost has warmed up and is sleeping with Sunshine in the puppy play pen. :shrug: :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im so sorry :hug:

sounds like the kid had internal bleeding and just couldnt handle the cold :(

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry :( I agree with Stacey. Also I know you lost another because of the ponies. Any way you can keep the kids away from the ponies until they are much older? Especially since you'll be expecting more kids over the next few months.

4. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    The horse's spend all thier time outside away from the kids now except for Sun, because we were cleaning the barn. Anyhow they are leaving next Saturday

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I also agree...

I am so very sorry for the loss.... :( :hug:

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm sorry you have to find a new home for your minis :(

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I too am so sorry for your loss.

Do all the mom's get their CDT 2-4 weeks before they kid?

I do know horses will do that at times. I know my horse,the first time she saw a baby she started tochase it, I yelled at her and she stopped and ran like she was scared to death. I took the baby to her and let her smell it and from then on she was fine with them, BUT that said, I still do not let the little babies out near her unless I am with them.