Lost Buck....Need opinions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 5andcounting, Sep 17, 2010.

1. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    We had 4 babies born about 4 weeks ago. 2 ea to 2 different mothers. The first set appeared to be full term :kidblue: :kidred:. The 2nd set however didn't seem that way. They were :kidblue: :kidred: and the girl was limp, could eat, stand or hold her head up nothing. We lost her that night. Fast forward 3 weeks everyone was great all still in the barns. Gracie and her babies were fine. Gizmo and her boy(toosie roll). I went down friday night the 9/10 and found Toosie Roll laying in the pen dead. Now I had just been down there that morning and the night before. He was fine. The only thing I can think of different is he like to stay kind of hunched up but not always. Is there something I missed? I really don't want to lose anymore goats as I lost one last week to old age and now this baby. Please feel to ask any question to help me. If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it. Thanks in Advance.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that you lost him - I am totally understanding your feelings of loss right now!

When he was hunched, did you take his temp? How was he doing eating - was momma allowing him and did his belly seem full all the time? How was his poo and were you seeing him pee?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Allison has great questions there..... the answers can help determine...the possible outcome....

Also another thing that happens is ...they get layed on by the mother and suffocated.... it is horrible .... but it is a possibility .....if the kid was doing really well.... I am sorry for your loss.... :( :hug:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Like Allison said, was mom letting him eat? Did you give CDT? If he was hunching, I would tent to lean twoard being constapated. Had he been pooping?

5. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    When he was hunched, did you take his temp? How was he doing eating - was momma allowing him and did his belly seem full all the time? How was his poo and were you seeing him pee?

No I didn't take him temp I just thought it was because he was nursing and she would sometimes walk off and he would stand like that. Yes she was letting him eat and he would nibble at the hay and grain but not alot. His belly felt full but not overly hard or anything.. I hadn't seen him pee or poop. They have all been in the barn and it is hard to tell who's is who's. Sorry I know probably doesn' help much but I and grasping at straws.

No CDT I haven't vax'd them with anything yet. But I do have the stuff on hand to do it.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm sorry you lost him and the other to age. Did the mom get a CD/T before she kidded?

:hug:
    Gina

7. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Yes both moms were utd on cdt

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would have them checked for coccidia

other then that without knowing if he had a temp its hard to really know what killed him.

Take temps on al the goats now and keep an eye on the temps so you can see if they change suddenly.

Was there a way he could have been stepped on or layed on? seems unlikely given his age though

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, you said up to date on their CDT. When was her last shot? She needed one 2-4 weeks before the baby hit the ground in order for it to get to the babies.

I would say it was that or constapaded. That would be my guess.

10. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Ok the moms had CDT, appx 3 to 4 weeks before delivery.
    Now I went to the barn saturday morning and noticed she was standing with all 4 legs together. So I took her temp 95 off to the house with go. She was not showing any other syptoms, she still wanted to eat. She is pooping and peeing. No raspy breathing or anything. Got her warm took her back to the barn with temp at 100, she stayed in the barn with mama and brother all night. Sunday morning same thing, except her temp was 98. Took her in the house for appx 45 mins with warm blankets and heater. Back to the barn her temp was at 101. She spent the whole day in the barn. Went down at 8:30 last night her temp was 103 and brothers was 103.5. Is there something going on or can she just not regulate her temp?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok now her temp is going up -- I would be checking it often through out the day -- you could have silent pnuemonia on your hands since the one buckling just suddenly died on you previous.

If it goes up anymore I would put her on penicillin or oxytetracycline.

12. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I am at work today, but will check her this evening! I have pen on hand but how much would I give her she is so small?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  14. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    O then less than a cc, cause she probably only weights 3 to 5 lbs at most, Thanks

15. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Ok based on mine and stacy's conversation yesterday evening, I need to treat for coccidia, with dimethox however tsc here doesn't have it nor does the co-op, the vet won't help me without a fecal and I am at work. I have been trying to find this since last night. I really want to start this asap. Anyone know anywhere else I can get it? I don't care at all to have the fecal but by the time I get home and get back to the vet they will be closed and it would be tomorrow before I can even get a fecal from them.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    jeffers carries it but you will have to get it shipped to you http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... f_id=16355

its an OTC so the vet shouldnt give you dimethox and charge you an arm and a leg.

my experience with fecal is that the vet sends them out so if you cant get it to the vet till tomorrow and then he sends it out and you wont get results till the next day .... so if you order it from jeffers you should have your order by Sat

17. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Re: Lost Buck....Need opinions**Lost Doe***

Ok I started treating momma and her babies on Tuesday for Coccidia, all appeared ok. Temps normal, eating normal. I went down to the barn last night to find Toosie Roll our baby :kidred: laying on her side barely breathing and convulsing. Temp was good, at 101, and she was nursing ( as I held momma last night to make sure she was and she was still eating. I am so lost, but this makes 4 we have lost in 4 weeks. I am beginning to think maybe we shouldn't do this. I mean I am trying my very best to take care of them. I mean we lost one at birth, one to old age, another at 2-3 weeks old idk what killed her, and now this baby doe. I am calling the vet today to see if her will come out and check them all. :pray:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry I got your text and never texted back :oops:

I am very sorry you lost her :hug: you did say she was much smaller then her brother and weighed much less. Sometimes they have other internal things going wrong.

Can you get a necropsy done on her to find out cause of death? I would ask you vet.

19. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Its ok I was jsut upset and didn't know why. I spoke with the vet this morning and he is gonna see the boy goat tomorrow and check him, do an in office fecal and go from there. He said depending on what he find we should have answers, and we will know if we need to treat all the goats on the farm are just the 2 in isolation.
    Yes she was alot smaller than him. Like he probably wieghs 8lbs or so and her maybe 4 at the most. He has a fat little pygmy belly she had no belly and I know she was eating. I was letting her feed off momma she would eat for a few minutes then act full. Momma has plenty of milk. Plus they have feed and corn in the pen and fresh hay. I was so confused last night as I had already started treating for coccida and her temps have been normal since sunday evening. She literally looked like she was having a seizure and her heart was barely beating when I got to her. Then she was gone. They have all freash bedding(straw) and the barn is draft free. Last night I was seriously considering selling all the animals. But my boys love them so much. My middle one is 4 and spends hours in with them just watching them play and making sure they have water etc. I must fix this. Sorry so long I am just at a loss.

20. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Was their any diarrhea associated with any of this?