lost goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bluecollar, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    This may be the wrong thread for this, if it is feel free to move it.
    When we got home tonight one of our Nigerians was weak and crying. My daughter brought him in the house and we tried to warm him up, it was about 38 degrees outside. He never improved, his breathing slowed and he was gone within an hour. I had checked on them at noon today and he did seem a bit weak, but nothing alarming. He had his shots and had been wormed over a week ago. I did use Mu-Se instead of Bo-Se.

I don't know what I did wrong, could it have been pneumonia?

My daughter is heart broken and our other goat is lonely. I have to work in the morning, but I hope I can get a another companion for the little lonely fella tomorrow night.
    :(

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Please give your daughter my heartfelt sympathy for her loss- that is so sad.
    Entero or bloat would be more like to carry off your boy fast especially if he was crying in pain- But silent pneumonia could have done it.
    Did get a chance to notice any symptoms other than being chilled?

3. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I am new at this and rather ignorant, but I did not notice any other symptoms.

4. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    It could have been silent pneumonia or numerous other things. I am sorry for your loss.

But I would suggest that you not use the Mu-Se. Either get the Bo-Se or Selenium E Gel.

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    The Mu-se didn't cause this. Here are the symptoms of Selenium toxicity

Sounds as if your goat died from either silent pneumonia, ate something poisonous or ethro . His symptoms are sign of a few different things but right now you need to get a rectal temp on the other goat, get a stethoscope and listen to his lungs, look at his lower eye lid and make sure it is nice and dark pink and make sure your hay isn't moldy as that will kill a goat quick. You need to look his pen over and your yard to make sure there isnt anything in there that is dangerous to eat. Make sure you are keeping his diet the same, same food same amount. Goats thrive on consistency.

Anytime a goat looks odd, either weak, tired in pain it is time to take action. Goats die quick and time is of the essence.

I am sorry your goat died. Hug his brother and your daughter for me.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I agree that getting a temperature is the most important information you can have.
    If he had bloat, his sides would have been distended- in the one case I've had, the kid looked like a football with legs. Bloat can kill fast because the pressure of the inflated stomach can put pressure on the lungs.
    Entero can shut the rumen down and creates lots of toxins. Once the ruman quits working well the little goat can not keep his temperature up.
    Pneumonia - well just like a preson........
    With my horses- if they look offish, I will give a little time to see if everything straightens out in most cases but with the goats, I jump right in because they can go down hill so fast.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How old was the goat?

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

It is so hard to lose one. We lost a baby last night and I am still crying about it.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm sorry for your loss :grouphug:

It could have been silent pneumonia. How is your other goat doing? Is he showing any signs of being off?

9. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I just got in from a long trip, it is 3:22pm. The other goat seems just fine. He was about 3 months old.

10. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    If it had been entero or bloat how should it have been treated?

I read "CD Antitoxin ... is to destroy on contact any entero toxins detected in the gut."

Is this correct and what exactly is CD antitoxin?

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    CD antitoxin is somethign you can order from Jeffers and its very important to have on hand...it treats Entero and its not expensive either...I but it buy the large bottle just for safty sake. when you treat entero you can hear the sloshy belly and if its cocci you need to treat with a sulfa drug.. Its really hard to say what he died of but it almost sounds like entero to me...fast and deadly if not treated fast too.

12. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    When a goat act off in any way taking their temp rectally can tell you alot. If they have a low temp c,d antitoxin given orally and sub q and getting them warmed up usually will bring them around. If the temp is high then antibiotics is usually in order. I keep Bio-mycin on hand for any antibiotic needs.

Right now you really need to look at your hay and make sure it isnt molded as this can cause goats to die with symptoms such as you saw. Entro is caused by lots of things and moldy feed or hay is one biggy.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I copied this off another site- please understand that lots of people have different ideas about bloat.

"If it overate pasture:

A) Immediately dose it with a large amount of oil of just about any kind. canola, safflower, olive, mineral, et al. This reduces the foam and gas that will start as soon as the damage is done. A 60cc syringe, with an udder canula at the tip (if you have one) so as to get it back into the animal's throat in small, swallow-sized amounts (allowing each mouthful to be swallowed before giving another), would be good. Tip the head upward so she can't dribble it all out the minute you dose her! And give her a minute to swallow that mouthful before you dose her again.

B) Give it a preventative shot of Clostridium Perfringens Types C&D ANTITOXIN (NOT toxoid!) to stop the enterotoxemia organisms (clostridia) that live in the gut and wait for something like this to happen to start creating toxins that will kill the goat if unchecked.

C) Give it some antihistamine tablets (chlorpheniramine, 4mg, several tablets) to ward off a potential histamine reaction (swelling of the blood vessels) that will lead to founder, a permanent crippling of the animal's front feet.

If it overate grain:

A) IMMEDIATELY get out the baking soda! Put several tablespoons in a glass, mix it with warm water (you have to keep shaking it or it will settle quickly) and add a bit of molasses to make it taste better. Dose it, in a large dosing syringe if you have one (with the long, open end on it) or a turkey baster, holding the goat's head up so it will swallow, and administering just small, swallow-sized mouthfuls, allowing it to swallow after each dose. You don't want to give it inhalation pneumonia! The baking soda is critical here, because fermenting grain in the rumen creates acidosis, which will do irreparable damage to the goat and end in killing her if you allow it to happen. Repeat this process every 2 hours or so, for several times if she ate a whole lot of grain, and for just a couple of times if she ate a moderate amount.

B) In the time between the baking soda dosings, give her lots of Pepto Bismol, also in a dosing syringe, to coat the intestinal walls that will otherwise quickly be damaged by acidosis.

C) Give it a good dosing of oil, as with Part A under Grass Bloat above.

D) Give it a preventative shot of Clostridium Perfringens Types C&D ANTITOXIN (NOT toxoid!) as in Part B under Grass Bloat above.

E) Give it some antihistamine tablets (chlorpheniramine, 4mg, several tablets) as in Part C under Grass Bloat above.

F) Whatever you do, do NOT offer ANY grain for the next few days, and introduce the goat back onto it slowly once you start again. My preference, for the next couple of meals, would be to provide fresh browse from the yard, choosing the new growth of those plants that I know are safe for goats, and that they love. "

Bloat can happen if the rumen is put out of whack for a number of different reasons- frequently it's getting into the grain or eating something that makes a sudden shift in the gut flora- then excess gas is made faster than can be released.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    so sorry

I am so sorry for your loss and your daughters also.

I really wish that you lived closer, I would let your daughter have pick of any of the babies that are born within the next couple weeks.

It is always hard to loose an animal that you love, but for a child - it is even worse, and i have a soft spot for that.

My thoughts are with you all

15. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I thank you all for your condolences. Ya'll are very kind. I have been keeping a close eye one the little goat we have left, he seems just fine.

I know goats are herd animals and it is not good to have a single goat. This one is not crying or unhappy right now, and my daughter does not like the idea of getting another goat for a companion. I think I will give her a couple more days and see if I can talk her into getting a buddy for her little fella.

16. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    It may help her to know that this one can get sick if left alone - it will get depressed. Sorry this happened. You may want to give CDT to the remaining one. If so, you'll also need to give a booster in 3 to 4 weeks. 2cc each dose unless you use Covexin 8, then it's 3cc first dose and 2cc for the booster.

17. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    My daughter went shopping with her grandmother today so I took the opportunity to a little shopping of my own. I bought a little nigerian doeling. She is about the same age and size as our other goat. I hope my daughter isn't too mad at me when she gets home.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so sorry you lost the little one. :cry:

As to you purchasing a little doe - thats just great!!! If your daughter is young she it is best to let her know that a goat should never be left alone and that you don't expect the new goat to replace the one lost but to help fill the void and to keep your remaining guy healthy and happy.

Attached Files:

• sis.JPG
      sis.JPG
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views: