The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I walk out to feed this morning and find one of my nannies dead with foam-blood mixture coming from nose and blood from mouth; she was fine last night grassing and dead this morning, up to date on all shots, couldn’t find a wound or nothing on her! Please help

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve checked that already, I have no plants that could cause this and no poison has been put out close enough to hurt them, I’m thinking more like heat stroke?? Which idk how, tons of fresh water plenty of shade

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Wow, that is strange. I have never seen that before. I would think poisoning, but you have already ruled that out. https://fiascofarm.com/goats/poisonousplants.htm just in case, here is a list of poisonous and edible foods goats can eat.
I am sorry for your loss (console) :(

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I know I said frothy bloat at first, but I really don't think so. I think she may have had a heart attack. This looks like the foam that comes from the lungs when the heart stops first. Fox Ridge mentioned pulmonary edema, and I think she's exactly right. Frothy bloat would contain rumen contents and I would expect green foam, not red. I'm not sure exactly why this foam forms when the heart stops suddenly, but my horse had some blood-tinged foam come from his nostrils after he died of a lightning strike last summer. He had a lot less foam and it was whiter, but his death was absolutely instantaneous. A heart attack event lasts a little bit longer than a lightning strike, so there would be time for more fluid to form. I'm sorry this happened, but at least it looks like it was very sudden and not painful.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I said frothy bloat at first, but I really don't think so. I think she may have had a heart attack. This looks like the foam that comes from the lungs when the heart stops first. Fox Ridge mentioned pulmonary edema, and I think she's exactly right. Frothy bloat would contain rumen contents and I would expect green foam, not red. I'm not sure exactly why this foam forms when the heart stops suddenly, but my horse had some blood-tinged foam come from his nostrils after he died of a lightning strike last summer. He had a lot less foam and it was whiter, but his death was absolutely instantaneous. A heart attack event lasts a little bit longer than a lightning strike, so there would be time for more fluid to form. I'm sorry this happened, but at least it looks like it was very sudden and not painful.
Yea it looked as if she just laid down, she was such a good doe, had a beautiful set of twins, had just got them weaned a month ago. I just wonder what could have made it happen.

·
14,802 Posts
I'm so sorry, I hope you can get some answers if you had her taken in for a necropsy. I've not seen anything like that, so I can imagine how that scary it was to come upon her and see the foam. It seems to be a super crazy part of the summer for issues right now, off the wall stuff, then parasites. Again, very sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts