Lost one :( **Warning, Graphic Images**

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 15, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Not a goat. A bunny. Last night was really warm, so I left the pop door open for the doelings. I went out to feed this morning and found one of our rabbits destroyed inside the run. I'm not sure if it was an owl or a hawk, but it was gross. :( Bunny's brother is really skittish and hiding inside the barn. Poor thing :tears:

Edited to add this graphic photo: If you can identify what ate him, it'd be helpful. His face and ears are missing, his throat is ripped to shreds, his guts were pulled out.
    http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u340 ... G_4256.jpg

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Re: Lost one :(

Oh I am sorry. Poor thing. He will need a little extra carrots

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

oh im so sorry - i love bunnies, ok I just love any animal but pigs -- they are so cute. So sorry you had to find it like that this morning :( :hug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

So sorry for your loss... :( :hug:

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Added a photo.

Anything thoughts as to what did this are appreciated. Thanks.

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It could have been a raccoon. That's how they would eat my birds at the last house I lived in. Destroyed my entire flock.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    We've been here two years and we've never had a raccoon issue. These pen walls are 8ft tall (was built for Eastern Wild Turkeys we had), do you think it could still be a raccoon?

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'd say raccoon. Owls usually take their food with them depending on how heavy the animal is. We have raccoons who live on our property, they never climb the fence but will chase the chickens dumb enough to fly out of the run. Also, any time the raccoons have killed our birds they always eat part of the head and usually most of the backs. We had one raccoon reach his hands through the fence and kill one of our turkeys....ate him the same way as the chickens.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I was at my place about two years too, before the coons discovered it. And wall height makes no difference to the murdering thieves.

Can you get a large live trap and bait it with cat food, eggs, or marshmallows? That might give you an idea if there's coons hanging around.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'll see what my grandfather's got laying around his place. He used to trap. He's got a nice 1500 acre parcel about an hour from us.

11. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Hmm. . . okay, stuff like this fascinates my husband. He's a biologist, so here are his thoughts (and get ready, he's as long-winded as I am, lol):

Raccoons and o'possums are known for their messy kills because they are omnivores (not strict carnivores). They would likely eat the head and the guts since they are body parts rich in fat and calories. Foxes, bobcats, and coyotes rarely eat their kills in the yard. Weasels and minks, because of their smaller size, will sometimes consume carcasses in the yard. They are very efficient predators, normally killing with a swift bite to the back of the head and then will consume the choice pieces of the kill, which are often the entrails and brain tissue. Contrary to the common myth, weasels and mink do not suck the blood from their victims. Skunks are a very remote possibility as they normally do not attack adult animals; they are more guilty for stealing eggs/young; however a good friend had a skunk maul an adult Cochin rooster which was sleeping on the ground. The skunk didn't kill the rooster on the spot (as they stepped in), but it died a few days later from its wounds. Only young, inexperienced raptors will normally eat prey on the ground close to human habitation, but this isn't the time of year for fledgling raptors.

In normal situations, most carnivores will kill only what they need, but when presented with a group of prey items concentrated in a small area (as in barnyard settings), they can sometimes go on killing frenzies. It isn't because the animal is sick or deranged, but simply overstimulated by a large group of prey items which cannot escape.

The above being said, and there are always exceptions, but based on the circumstances present, he would suspect a raccoon or o'possum, possibly a mink or weasel.

So now he wants to know if there were any tracks in the snow/mud?
    Also, were your chickens killed similarly or were they taken off?

12. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Poor thing- I would say racoon or a fisher cat. I had never heard of fisher cats until I moved to MA, but I guess they are everywhere.
    Nasty little buggers and will kill just for sport. One of my bosses chickens looked similar to this after a fisher got to her. :(

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry you had to find him that way :hug:

There would be tracks around from the killer....I'd say a coon too but also wouldn't rule out a weasel.

14. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
    Sabie is now dead too. Found him in the same spot. Puncture wounds to the back of his neck, blood running out his mouth and nose. Nothing was eaten.

I see no visible tracks inside the pen, nor do I see a hole or anything where they could have been reached from the outside. Our pen is solid plywood the first 20" or so, to keep chicks inside it.

I threw Bunny down in the woods this morning, figuring if it was the stupid hawk, it'd just finish the job. But no, whatever it was, killed the second one instead of finishing the first one. There are weird looking tracks around Bunny's carcass. They look like bird tracks and they're much too small to be my chickens, but they don't look like hawk prints either.

15. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    If it happens again...God forbid it does, take pics of the tracks and post them.

16. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm ahead of ya lol. I took a few pictures. My husband will want to know what I found.

Here's the tracks: Taken from my cell, sorry they're fuzzy.
    [​IMG]

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Besides the goat tracks and chicken tracks....I see cat tracks. Definately not a coon or weasel.

18. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
  19. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    This was taken near the carcass I threw into the woods. Goats and chickens were no where around it, I think that's just the way the snow melted. The bird track right in the middle of the photo is what I'm talking about. They were everywhere around it, but way too small to be my chickens. My roosters about 12lbs.

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok...thats a bird track so if you threw the carcass there then it could be that crows were eating it before you took the pic. :shrug: