Lost one :( **Warning, Graphic Images**

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 15, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    check out those owl track links - I'm also trying to find hawk track links . . .

2. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    hmm . . . I misunderstood and thought you found the bunny there. So those tracks could mean something, but maybe not. The two wounds to the back of the neck and nothing eaten makes me wonder if it could have been a mink. We had 8 week old chicks one time in a covered run, with the perimeter sealed pretty tightly. While on vacation, all of them were killed. Our neighbor who was shutting them up in the evening and letting them out in the a.m. found them all lying dead on their sides, completely uneaten all with puncture wounds to the back of their necks.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've had experience with minks before.

I've never seen one here, but I wouldn't doubt it. Like I said, I saw no holes... My grandfather had an issue with one. It completely destroyed a flock of 60+ birds and didn't eat a single one. Needless to say, he sent that with me to taxidermy school. lol

I've emailed him asking for a live trap. We'll see how it goes.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
  5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Yeah, Shell, I was confused . . . I thought the tracks were found around Bunny at the scene of the crime (and I had assumed she had been attacked in the night if you found her this a.m.). However, I'd agree with Liz that if Bunny's body was moved during the day that those are likely crow tracks -- back to square one :hair:

Let us know if you trap something!

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Yeah, no sorry about that. I found no tracks inside or outside of the pen where I found either dead bunny. I moved the first carcass into the woods and those were the tracks I found around it. I carried both rabbits further into the woods. Everyone is locked up tight in the barn tonight. I even made sure my barn cat was in there. If it's a weasel, he'd better bring an army. lol

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I can tell you it was not a bird. If it was a bird, you would see fur pulled out everywhere in tufts.

Can you take pictures of the enclosure? I might have a better idea of what it was. I need pictures from above and below from inside if possible. I then can possibly tell you if the animal is a climber, or a crawler.

Also, were the rabbits found against the fence? If so, check on the other side of the enclosure for the tracks. A racoon will reach in, grab what they want, and eat through the fence, then drop it back down when they are done.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    No, I checked. There were no tracks inside or outside. At all. Really weird. The first 20" or so of the pen is solid plywood and it's buried, not far, but enough. The rabbits were found near the fence, yes.

I'll see if I can find a picture...

[​IMG]

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Sounds like the animal is just hanging on the fence. Is there any tree branches close enough to drop down from? Also, it could be coming from off the roof. In order to find where he is coming from, you have to think like a predator. Could be racoon or Opossum. A skunk would more likely be on the ground.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I asked my Dad about it. He seems to think it's a small weasel and he's planning to get it this weekend.

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I agree that it is probably a coon. Around here, they would climb up the legs of the cage, hang off the bottom of the pen and reach through to where they were sleeping/resting and gut them through the wire. Then pull parts of them through the wire to eat. They are really vicious killers in my experience.

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    kinda looks like coon tracks to me as well. :( I have alot of experience with raccoons. They almost look like cat foot-prints in the snow, depending on how deep. I actually just tracked coon tracks this AM all over our farm. I'm going to have to set a live trap. :( I hate trapping and killing but I can't deal with a raccoon. Especially up by the barns and house with our goats and small dogs. Those coons are tricky and maybe too smart for their own good.

Anyway, hope you can get to the bottom of this and track down the animal! I am so sorry for you're losses! :(

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Any update on what it was? I also have a coon track photo I took today if you need to know what they look like. In fact, I'm just going to post it. Hope it helps someone anyway.

[​IMG]

14. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Sooooo sad. Didn't look at the pictures tho. I probably wouldn't be able to help and the pics would bring back memories of my two old rabbits so I didn't look but I am very very sad about this. :tears: