The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heart is so heavy this morning!! Six of our little weathers/bucks were brutally mauled to death during the night by someone's pit bull cross.:mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:( We had taken them up to my dad's house to pasture there for a few weeks. Our LGD wasn't there, but we didn't worry too much because everything was woven wire, gates with woven wire ect. I wish I could have been there to rescue them. I just keep seeing them in distress and panic, as that good-for-nothing snake of a dog mangled my innocent babies to death. Then the bloody brute went and laid on my dad's porch like a majesty waiting to be exalted for his accomplishment.
Sad to say, but at least I have a little satisfaction in knowing that the brute was riddled with bullets as a thank you for his despicable deed. He got away unfortunately:mad: I writing this, I in no way want any animal to suffer. The shots were aimed to kill, but sometimes dogs are hard to kill.
Anyway, goodbye Huck, Tony, Thor, Caesar, Argo, and Alec:angelgoat: You will all be greatly missed. I hope they didn't suffer as much as I am afraid they did:(

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Wow, I bet you are in a little bit of shock, too. Goodness, I'm sorry. That is nuts. I feel so sorry for you and the goaties! :( May god bless you.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I am SO sorry! It's not the dog's fault, as much as I know I would be extremely angry ... it's instinct, dogs are hunters, goats are prey. :( What a horrible loss ... I feel for you. :(

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
First I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope your animals didnt suffer in the process. Im sure I will not be liked that much when I say this but I hate pit bulls!! Everyone says that its how they are raised, but I have to disagree, they have the kill in them and when they get it in their mind there is no changing it. We have killed 8 of them in the last year in a half, not just here where i live, this is 3 different places and not close. We had 8 dead calfs and 13 cows with missing ears, and part of their lips. Again I am sorry for your loss, but Im glad you posted this, even if that dog was not raised to be mean, and I dont think there are that many out there that is, They have it in them and animals really seem to bring that out in them. I understand you not wanting that animal to suffer, and I agree, but your animals didnt do anything wrong to have that happen to them.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
OH NO!!!!! i'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

really, words can't express how sad I am for you. people need to keep their dogs in line, no matter what breed.

·
2,751 Posts
Well, Jessica, I have met good pit bulls. That's like saying you don't like all humans. Just think, humans are like pit bulls in a way. Sounds darn right silly, but think about it.

I do agree that when they have that thought in their mind that there is no way through it, though. Part of me feels bad for them. They used to be called "The Nanny Dog" because they were so great at watching little kids while parents were gone.

I understand your comment but I wouldn't put every pit bull down because of what some of them did.

·
2,751 Posts
No matter what, though, what this dog did to your goats is unspeakable. That dog needed to die. I wouldn't want it to suffer, at ALL, but he NEEDED to go. Anything like that would most likely have a better "life", dead.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Pits are terriers....as terriers, they have an incredibly high prey drive. :( irresponsible owners get that bad rap for them. I would be hunting the owner of that dog and he/she would be replacing my livestock! People who are irresponsible pet owners tick me off. I have a pit. My pit can't be trusted with my livestock therefore, my pit stays penned unless we are out with him or he is in the house.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Im very sorry for your loss...:(

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It's incomprehensible what a domestic dog will do to a herd.

It is irresponsible dog owners that let this happen. We have 2 pit dogs as well. I would never let my dogs or even my mom's labrador any where near my goats nor run free. I don't think dog owners really have a clue about letting their dogs run free and that's just horrible. A similar incident happened to a friend recently with a lab and a beagle. She lost 3 of her sheep.

We've actually come across people that say their dog deserves to run free. They won't pen them or leave them inside during the day. It's sad for the livestock and for the dog.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your little ones.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'm so sorry for you. :hug: I hope that if that dog isn't dead of his wounds, then at least he learned a lesson on and won't come back.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
OH NOOO! I am so very sorry! That is devastating! :( :( :( I can understand the occasional escaped dog and the owner that pays for damages. But it is ridiculous how many people let their livestock-killing dogs run loose. I guess it will always be that way, and we just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh NOOO! That's awful! So sorry for your loss! :( That's a huge fear for me, as our neighbors have a pit cross that they let free range.... as of now he has killed a chicken and 6 of our cats. It's only a matter of time before my husband decides that he did something unforgivable and makes him "disappear".

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well, Jessica, I have met good pit bulls. That's like saying you don't like all humans. Just think, humans are like pit bulls in a way. Sounds darn right silly, but think about it.

I do agree that when they have that thought in their mind that there is no way through it, though. Part of me feels bad for them. They used to be called "The Nanny Dog" because they were so great at watching little kids while parents were gone.

I understand your comment but I wouldn't put every pit bull down because of what some of them did.
Ohh no Im not saying I go around killing peoples pits, these have been shot while hanging on to animals trying to kill them. I still dislike the breed and will never have one, but I do have to say the ones that say they know their pits can not be trusted around their goats, you guys have your head on straight. The same as my border collie is not 100% trusted because she is a herd animal and I know she would herd them to death.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im so sorry :hug: Glad you know who the culprit was , and I hope was !
I dont want any animal to suffer. But unfortunately if that dog wasnt shot or put down , Im almost positive if it were loose again , it will kill again , cause it knows exactly where to go to do it.
I hope you find the owners of the dog and they pay dearly for THEIR mistake.
Again , I am so very sorry for your loss. They are at rest now and at peace.
Remember them happy and peaceful . The shock will wear off in time honey , and you will be able to remember them in a better way.

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone, missing my little buddies so much. I am not trying to bash pits. I don't care for them, but it could have just as easily been any sort of pooch that might have done the same thing. Just wish people would be more responsible if they are going to own such an animal. The shots fired at the dog were meant to kill it, not wound it. I love dogs, I don't wish to see them suffer, and don't just go shooting at them because they cross my property ect. However, in a situation such as this I believe the land owner has every right to protect his/her property. Wouldn't have shot the dog for just passing through. Just did what felt like needed to be done at the time. It is a sad situation all around.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! How devastating :(

1 - 20 of 63 Posts