Lotions: What brands actually work?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goathappy, Dec 3, 2008.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I go through this every winter, no matter what lotions I use my hands always get dry and chapped. I'm cleaning blood off the keyboard now from my fingers splitting.

So, for those of you who live in really cold climates, or have jobs that make your hands dry, what really works as far as hand lotions go? I've tried a lot of products and its hard to find something that actually works :scratch:

thanks for your input :)

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bag balm. lol

I also just made my own hand lotion. It's really easy to make. Works great too!

If you do try making your own lotion then don't add any water.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Can I have your recipe for lotion? I'm willing to try anything if I don't have to use bag balm I won't. I"m still milking goats here in the winter and I can't have greasy hands :)

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with the Bag Balm. I pack it on and put socks on my hands for the night. Works great.

But I have to say that i have some goat lotion I got from a lady close to me. It is the BEST lotion I have ever used.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I went to Bath and Body works and they have a lotion that is specially made for dry and chapped hands called No. 1012 Chapped hands remedy. It was about 14.00 for a small 1.7 oz thing of it - But I will tell you - I swear by it.

When I moved back to Washington 5 years ago, my hands would bleed from being chapped and hurting - to the point that I would cry because I could not even tie my shoes they hurt so bad (and I have all kinds of peircings and tattoos - so that tells you how much pain I was in). I went to the hospital and the only thing that they said was to get pure lanolin from the baby section of Walmart for Nursing mothers, smear it on my hands, put rubber gloves over it and go to bed. Yah, like I slept that night - but it worked ------ for about a week.

I bought the stuff above about a month ago, but it on every day once a day, and have not had ANY problems. It has been great!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Allison. I forgot about that stuff. They have that and a couple other things that work great. JUST not the smell good stuff for cracked hands. (OUCH).

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, I went in there the beginning of November almost in tears and begged for something to help me -as I had tried everything.

I had been putting their body butter on them at night every night and it helped but didn't fix. Man, I love this stuff!

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have a lot of problems with scents and things. Cant use most brands of deoderant scented lotions give me a hard time. i get really chapped dry hands during the winter. I use something called skin milk and then on the really dry places like my knuckles and between my first finger and thumb i use bag balm.
    beth

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to look for those things :)

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Run Around: Could you share that recipe for lotion with me, please? I'm trying to find the perfect lotion recipe to make as a gift for someone. She has dry, sensitive skin.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    If they are actually cracked to the point of bleeding I would put some antibiotic ointment on them at night, put some "latex free" gloves on (you can find them at Wal-Mart). When they heal a little change to bag balm or whatever lotion you like. My hands never go into water (bathing excepted), during the winter. Hope you heal soon!

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Something safe and effective (and cheap) for the night time is regular vegetable shortening. You just have to spread it on thick and put some gloves of socks on your hands. I used to do this when I worked in a pet store and constantly had my hands getting wet from the fish tanks and washing. I also try to wear gloves or mittens whenever I can during the day--even around the house. The more you keep your hands protected, the better. It helps tremendously.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    vasaline hand lotion has very little scent if any and works good.

From shampooing for months my hands would get really chapped so at night I would put vasaline lip theropy on my knuckles and then go to bed. IT really helped!

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks, I'll be sure and try those things :)

15. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I just bought Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Lotion ( hypoallergenic moisturizer) at WalMart a couple weeks ago because my hands were cracked and bleeding. The very first time I used it my hands felt better immediately! Since it's hypoallergenic it has no fragrance. The primary ingredient in it is glycerin.

16. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have found "Priority Care Udder Balm" to work really well. It is like Bag Balm but is in lotion form and non greasy. It includes Vit. A, D, & E and Aloe Vera. And is really cheap. My daughter has always suffered from really bad dry hands that crack, and peal, but once she found this lotion in my barn and started using it, her hands have improved drastically. And we have tried everything for her in the past. But this stuff works wonders. :dance:

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well my biggest problem isn't my hands cracking(that comes later in the season though) but its my cuticles at the corners of my finger nails, the skin there gets really thick and dry and just cracks open.

I'll be sure and try some of your guys' suggestions, thanks! :)