The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat Lottie was posted in another post that has just had a kid and had no milk or colostrum. I have been feeding the little boy baby and everything is looking good. My post now concerns the mama Lottie, she has bagged up somewhat and it looks like she should have milk but she doesn’t. The bag reminds me of a small grapefruit cut in half and is in both sides her bag. (forgive me for description) it kinda feel like firm foam in a half grape fruit shape on each side. What can this be? See pics attached. Pic of baby also attached.
Hair Horse Eye Working animal Human body
Wood Fawn Grass Tints and shades Landscape
Leg Fawn Wood Grass Tints and shades
Dog breed Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Goat
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
While I'm not sure what you mean,, she may be congested. Take out some very warm water..a thermos may help if its a bit of a trot..get a rag wet with the very warm water snd blanket the udder after wringing it out of course. Keep the warm rag on while ypu give deep knead and massages to the udder..re heat as needed. Warm compress, knead, massage, milk..repeat. are you keeping baby with her? If so if she allows him to try to nurse can help too.

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be tomorrow evening before I can do what you described. I have to work tomorrow and can do this when I get off. At 10:00pm tonight I’m headed to pasture to feed the baby then try to get some sleep before 5am in the morning. You gotta love it to do it.

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from feeding everybody. E-1 (now called Ellieon) sucked mom while I fed Baxter and then came to me for her 2-1/2 oz. after I fed her she goes back to mom and sucks for 4-5 minutes seems like. I checked a tit this morning and didn’t get a heavy flow but a fine stream after 3 jerks. I think she has some milk but not a lot. Pics of mom and baby attached.
Dog breed Grass Working animal Terrestrial animal Snout
Goat Dog breed Goat-antelope Working animal Snout

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Baby nursing can help you with her congestion and hopefully increase productivity

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am just thankful that mom had a change of heart. At birth she didn’t clean her up and for 2 days just stood across the way while I fed her. At night I would lock her and the baby in together and when I fed during the day I started putting them in the small 6x7 pen to feed both mom and baby. I would take baby and rub over and under her body and moms behind after feeding the baby. My wife went down Tuesday at noon to feed and saw the baby sucking. To my knowledge that was the first time that had happened except when I would tie the mom and hold the baby to a nipple. That only lasted about 5 seconds and baby would quit trying. Now mom stands still for her to suck and if I feed any mom comes over for a close inspection of what I’m doing to the baby. I don’t get much out of her but the baby might know a thing or to on how it’s done.

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The lump on the baby now worries me. The vet said it look like a salivary gland issue. He lanced, drained and flushed with iodine and told me to flush again the next day, which I did, but it has not gone down in size. It doesn’t appear to be any smaller at all.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Vet may need to do a deeper look at what's going on.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vet may need to do a deeper look at what's going on.
He said if that didn’t do it call him back. I’ll call Monday and see if I can get a 4:30pm appointment for Tuesday evening.

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She was a week old Friday night. She’s gain 2.4 lbs. she sucks on mama a lot but I don’t think she is getting much if any. She weighs 151 ounces today. (9.4 lbs). I am feeding about 4 ounces 4 times a day. 151 x .10 = 15.1 divided by 4 feedings = 3.78 oz. She will be sucking mom and quit and come get bottle and drink it all, then go back to mom. Even after she drinks her bottle (Apx 4 oz) her tummy is still not bulging. I just don’t think mama has the milk. It I have time I will test her tomorrow to see if she has milk. She has a small bag but don’t think anything in it much.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts