The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alpine miscarried last weekend at about 3 months along(didn't know she was bred when I got her). I don't milk they are just pets so she recently self weaned her 5 month old twins as well...poor thing has been screaming all week and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. She is eating fine maybe a little less then usual but not really noticeable, besides the yelling she is pretty normal but a little skiddish when I come close but I have no idea and it's driving me nuts! We also added a few lambs recently and she has been a little aggressive towards them even tho the goats and sheep are separate she will try butting them thru the fence, as well as chased the peacock up onto the roof the other day. She still has a little discharge from the miscarriage but it's much better then it was the first few days after. Any advice would be helpful thx!

·
8,365 Posts
Did her udder fill with milk? She may just be uncomfortable. Or, she may have an infection. Have you checked her temp? Any idea why she aborted? Did she get hit in the side, was ill, etc?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I would get a temp on her...make sure there is no funny smell from her discharge...check her udder as mentioned to be sure its not tight and painful...if everything looks good and she is peeing pooping eating, drinking bright eye and alert..I would think she is mourning her loss..give her extra attention..a nice treat such as banana or cracker...something for her to look forward to..brush her and sing to her..yes..they love it when we sing or hum to them and after a loss sometimes they get depressed so this helps them heal...

YOu mention she weened a five month old ? so she was three months bred and nursing a five month old kid?? If so Im sure this taxed herbody as well....how is her condition? shiny coat or dull? thin or in good condition? lower inner eye lids bright pink to red..or pale??

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
poor thing has been screaming all week and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong.
She is screaming for her aborted kid. 3 months along is better than half way through gestation - she knows she delivered a kid, just doesn't understand that it was dead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No she dried up after she stopped nursing and didn't fill back up, she got attacked by my neighbors dogs bout 5 weeks ago and got an infection from that but she went to the vet and we have been cleaning it really good as well as giving her antibiotics...that could have been the stresser but it seems like a food amount of time between then and now

Cathy, ya she was in pasture with a billy and must have been bred very soon after having the twins, I was trying to figure out if one of the babies was banded wrong or our ram tried to breed her or something but judging by the size of the fetuses we think that's what happened, her coat looks good, she is a little skinny but still eating hay and grazing, like I said she is kinda skiddish but I'll try to get a rope around her and check all the things u said to tomorrow...she had a follow up shot of antibiotics at the vet 2 weeks ago so I doubt infection...it it was just a couple days I'd say it was just normal loss and mourning but it's been a week now...the 5 month olds are startin to separate themselves and will run off alone now and she will stand there and yell at them while they graze like she is worried

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
poor mama has been through it...I would give B complex for a few days to help her through the stress of the miscarriage..once you determine if everything else is normal...we can go from there as how to help her...when we lost a doeling in an accident..her mama cried for her for almost two weeks..it slowed down after a few days but she was heart broken looking for her baby..its sad to watch but they do heal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts