The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my goodness. I feel pretty bad for my new laddie. I just brought him home, today! He's been weaned for a week, so that isn't the issue.

He has been screaming non stop since I got him settled in his new pen! He is next to another girl goat from the same farm (in a separate pen). They can see each other, just are not together for obvious possible copulation reasons. They're away from my other goats. A short quarantine in case they get sniffles or whatnot from the stress of the move.

The little girl, she's barely made a meep (also, she escaped, now I have her gate bungeed closed. At least she came right to me for some love!). He on the other hand, is crying himself hoarse. He is calms down instantly when I am with him. He climbs into my lap and lays down for loving. As soon as I am out the gate again though, all I hear is "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!" even when I am out of sight!

Do I kinda have to just let him 'cry it out' (not a fan of that with human babies, heh, but goats are different). I just want to keep his stress level down, and him yelling constantly probably shows he is stressed out.

I am thinking of trying to whip together an olor or something. You know, a 'goat condom/apron'. I have some straps (from my backpacking backpack, to hitch my sleeping bag and whatnot to it) and a few empty grain bags that might make OK material. Do you think that would work?

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh don't worry, he'll soon have a buddy! Just a short quarantine. I have a mellow boer wether who will be good friends for him. The little girl will be paired with a milk mannered girl of mine before meeting the more pushy adults.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Aww he's cute! My little buckling cried for 3 days and he had a wether friend his age and my older buck with him. Better to not teach him that you'll come when he cries. I know it's hard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts