The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, question mostly for curiosity and expanding my knowledge :) I have two dams (this is how goats who already kidded are called, yes?) and around 7 month old buck with them. I brought him couple of weeks ago and now just let him live in the same pasture. Girls hated him first, now it seems they tolerate his existence at least. Around a week after we brought him both my girls seemed to go in heat at around the same time. Only sigh was discharge, partly milky, but partly light brownish and dried on the vagina. I saw only milky or fully transparent until now and only with one goat. Thing is they show no other signs of being in heat or if they do, if I am anywhere near, all of their attention is fully on me, even if they only hear me. So I doubt I will ever see anything but goats baaa'ing for treats. My question is, is it possible for goats to live with buck for all breading season and not to be bred (considering animals are healthy)? Maybe they can just not to like buck or buck has no idea what to do or they are too shy maybe?? He acts like an old creep and one of my goats looked nearly terrified every time he tried to sniff her, started to make those buck sounds and walked around with his tongue sticking out. I had no idea bucks can look so like perverts lol, I would be terrified too! :D I saw somewhere a photo of goats rare end with discharge just like I saw on my goats and somebody said this is how it looks after the deed is done. Can you see it by the discharge?
P.S. I had them after their first kids were weaned so it's first breeding season for me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes it is possible especially with a young buck. Some does don’t find young bucks attractive but more annoying so might not let him breed until he gets nice and stinky and more persistent about getting the job done. And some bucks are a bit afraid of does, especially if the does have been mean to him. And then there is my wonderful case where it’s been such a odd year and some of the does seemed to stop cycling right before I put the bucks in with them, ugh
But if you have only had him in for a few weeks I would give it more time together. I myself leave bucks in for 3 months, 2 months seems to be the minimum that others leave them in. I am one that goes off the mucus if I have not seen the deed done. But if a doe has simply been in heat there will still be some mucus on that tail, if a buck bred her there is usually a lot of mucus. 9 out of 10 times I’m correct on my die dates doing this.
Also a dam is a term that is used as a mother. So a offsprings dam, like if we’re were to say my mom or his mom it would be in goat terms my dam or his dam. A doe is a adult female ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is possible especially with a young buck. Some does don't find young bucks attractive but more annoying so might not let him breed until he gets nice and stinky and more persistent about getting the job done. And some bucks are a bit afraid of does, especially if the does have been mean to him. And then there is my wonderful case where it's been such a odd year and some of the does seemed to stop cycling right before I put the bucks in with them, ugh
But if you have only had him in for a few weeks I would give it more time together. I myself leave bucks in for 3 months, 2 months seems to be the minimum that others leave them in. I am one that goes off the mucus if I have not seen the deed done. But if a doe has simply been in heat there will still be some mucus on that tail, if a buck bred her there is usually a lot of mucus. 9 out of 10 times I'm correct on my die dates doing this.
Also a dam is a term that is used as a mother. So a offsprings dam, like if we're were to say my mom or his mom it would be in goat terms my dam or his dam. A doe is a adult female ;)
Thanks! And I understand about does and dams now :D Well, he has all breeding season and whatever happens - happens. He's not affraid of does, I give him that at least. Naughty little thing, I see now we named him Diavolo for a reason :D And one of my does, alfa one, seemed way more submissive to him while in heat. Enough for me to notice at least. Now both let him sniff under their tails, but they are not in heat so he seems dissapointed after sniffing :D Fingers crossed I'll see some kids next year.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Wow, if they are already letting him sniff their back ends when not in heat I think you have a good chance of successful breeding!
For my first breeding I used a 7 months old buck. The doe had known him since he was 2.5 months old.
I think once your girls get into the swing of things, it will all happen in time.

·
Fair-Haven
4,705 Posts
Mine are both 7 months.... and I've used junior bucks for years..... usually never a problem. Hormone driven from the male and female side...... hope to see your little ones in the spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts