The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If anyone can tell me the breed i have would be very helpful.I received this big balled beauty by surprise today so, please no comments on his temporary housing arrangement, I already know.. besides My house is full lol. Anyways I'm Brandon btw. Any help on dietary preferences for "#15" would be great. And a name could be helpful. Thanks!
Vertebrate Fence Mammal Working animal Mesh
Vertebrate Fence Mammal Working animal Mesh

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Hello! Welcome to goats! 馃槃

Looks like a boer or a boer mix to me. Is it a she or a he?

Your goat is going to need another goat buddy in order to be happy if you only have one. And yes, looks like a better shelter with pasture space is in order 馃槈. As far as food goes, goats need free choice hay fed off the ground, clean water, and loose free choice minerals. There's a lot to learn about goats so I would encourage you to do some research regarding their care. There are lots of threads on this site that have great information. Goat care can be more complicated than you'd think. 馃憤

Registered
Welcome welcome. Is it a he or a she? Goats love leaves grass and free range. But to start you should look at available feed. There are many knowledgable persons on this group. Secondly he/she will definately need a buddy about the same age.
Goats on their own can become destructive. So you must make him / her a play pen. One where it can climb and lay and forage. Shelter from the sun too. I love the apron.

Premium Member
Yeah, I agree on the Boer mix, maybe with a Nubian? The bone and body structure looks a bit lanky for a full Boer, unless he is very young and was underfed. The ears don't look airplanie enough to be a cross with a Swiss breed, maybe a Nubian? Love his coloring. What are you planning on doing with him? Pet? Breeding?

I feed plain mixed grass/weed hay 3 times a day, as that is the only type I can find in my area. I feed my boys a grower pellet that contains ammonium chloride to help prevent urinary stones. To help balance the diet, I add some alfalfa pellets to their feed. Loose minerals fed free choice. I don't have any grazing or browsing areas, only drylot, so I do bring them healthy weeds and goat safe tree limbs as snacks during the growing months. In the winter, I give them evergreen limbs that get knocked down due to snow and ice. Up here, it's mostly fir, spruce, hemlock and white pine. They love it. Just be careful with bringing greens, as some (like yew) are deadly poison.

Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
Alfalfa pellets would be a good idea. Is it a he? If so, Frankie, Hank, Peanut...thats all I got lol...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts