The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while feeding I noticed a little (smaller than the rest) down on front feet and wouldn’t get up. I don’t know if someone rammed her or not. I took temp and was 98.7f. I gave herbotics and GI soother mix and about 3 ml of B complex. I penned her up in a building out of the wind and gave her some alfalfa pellets. I gave her some hay and she laid down on some that was already in the building. I covered her with a little hay also. I was press for time so after putting down a water pan and tarring the gate to keep the wind off her (53 degrees this morning) I left her alone. I know this type post has been posted a 1000+ times plus, but I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing here. She is dry, covered up in hay (not head), had medicines, feed and water. What’s next. I wish I had electricity down there in the sheds but I don’t. I thinking of buying a twelve volt camping bulb and put a twelve volt battery set up for emergency uses like this. I would put a plastic hard cover over the battery to keep them from licking. Maybe it would run the bulb for 2-3+ hours until temp could get back up. I just did get to work on time, made it by 1 minute before work buzzer.lol

·
Super Moderator
58,205 Posts
Do you have warming barrels? You can give them a warming barrel without a light. Put straw in the bottom or use a pet warming pad like this one https://www.chewy.com/paws-pals-sel...erm=4584688614926616&utm_content=All Products

I have small self pet warming pads for cats. I put them in a garbage bag and seal it closed with tape. Then I put that in an old flannel pillow case and put that in the bottom of the warming barrel. Kids are nice and toasty without a heat lamp.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Has she been on coccidia prevention? Hows her famacha? Pooping berries?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
TKC Farms
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had given 2nd round of Toltrazuril about a week and a half ago. I haven’t seen her poop but I look at behind and saw a small pellet stuck to her tail hair. I removed it as it had dried out. I don’t have electricity at the sheds and they are at least 300 yards from nearest plug in. I look at the pad mentioned above. Famacha score did not look bad.

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Recheck her temp when you get back out there. Sometimes pneumonia starts with sub temp then spikes. A warming pad like mentioned above is an excellent idea!! I may get a few myself!

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
TKC Farms
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is she a healthy weight and smaller than the other kids or boney? What has she had for deworming & coccidia so far in her life?
She is a bit slender and ten pounds behind the other siblings. They were all born Dec 15-16, 2020. Most all run about 30-35 lbs but I have 3 that are 10 pound light in their weight. She has had 2 rounds of Toltrazuril at one month age and the other at 2 months age.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Might run a fecal on her to be sure treatment was effective.

·
Super Moderator
58,205 Posts
My pet warming pads are 18.5"×23". I've had them for over 10 years. I can put mine in the washer but not the dryer. That is why I put them in plastic, so I don't have to wash them much.

They fit almost perfectly in the typical plastic barrel used for a warming barrel.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Cayenne on the gums to warm from the inside and some 103 degree liquid sugar - aka water and a little honey, molasses, or karo syrup. Small syringe slowly slowly SLOWLY dripped and drenched orally.

·
TKC Farms
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raining cats and dogs this evening when I got in from work. Fed cows hay while helper was mixing feed for goats. When I got to her pen she was laid over on her side dead. She didn’t appear to have been dead to long as she was not stiff. Sad event.

·
TKC Farms
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rain this morning feed made for a rough start. This evening sun was shining and very pretty.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
:imsorry:Oh my..im so sorry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts