Lowdown on Registering Minis?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Gooseberry Creek, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    I am trying to breed a ADGA Lamancha doe and a ADGA registered Nigerian Dwarf buck. Where all can their babies be registered? Is it only to Mini Dairy Goat Association? Or are there other places I should register babies? Trying to see what is best. Thanks :)

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I think most mini breeders use the mdga for registration.

Gooseberry Creek likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes. MDGA. I breed mini Lamancha as well..this is who I use. I dont think there is another place.

4. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Okay thanks you guys. I wasnt sure if I was missing something lol. Can you register the first generation babies or do you have to wait until they are more of a *pure* mini ?(does that make sense? lol)

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Yes you can register first gens. They will be experimentals. I will go find the page that explains this for you on mdga.

Eta. May e this will help a lil bit. And i *think* mdga is closing the herdbooks on grade animals next year. But since both of your parents are registered already at will not be a problem for you.

https://miniaturedairygoats.net/mdgas-herdbook/

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  6. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Thank you. That is extremely helpful :)

7. MDGA and TMGR (The mini goat registry) will both register minis.

8. Yes you can register first-gen and each subsequent generation. There are guidelines once you hit 3rd gen such as having the proper breed character and meeting the breed standard and being 70% or under of one of the two breeds.

9. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Thank you. I will have to read up on the breed standards etc. since I'm new at this lol. :ty:

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have heard of these guys. Are they new or just not as used as MDGA?

11. They've been around a while, but I think more use MDGA. They do however allow animals to continue milk star lineage from standard parents where MDGA doesn't. Which stinks because I have one about to get her 16*M and her daughter hopefully 17* and when bred to minis, those minis won't get to keep it going. Oh well.

Gooseberry Creek and happybleats like this.
  12. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Oh wow. I wonder why they wouldn't allow the does to keep their milk star lineage? That's just mean lol. It is something to consider...I went out of my way to get 2 ND bucks with their *B milk stars (expensive$$$) so I could have a good line of NDs and Mini Lamanchas. I was planning on adding more full Lamanchas with their milk stars as well for this project. With many upcoming homesteaders wanting smaller goats with good milk lines it would seem logical to let these mini goats carry on their milk star lineage.