LSG

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sunrise, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Has anyone ever heard of using a mini donkey as a LSG?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think I was reading a post on that very question. It was awhile back but I think it has a lot to do with wether or not the goats and donkey are comfortable with each other, I had read that some donkeys can be aggressive with goats but it depends on temperment I think.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I vote Llama or a dog for an LGD.

4. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I have 3 minis doing this job for me. Havent had a coyote take one of our animals since purchasing them,

CJ

5. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Right now I have a full size donkey with them and it works and two more I just haven't turned out yet. I would like something smaller like a mini. I was just wondering if they would work. We don't have a big problem with things getting after our goats, but its nice to have something with them. Thanks!

6. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    We bought a mini donk who was a great protector at first and he hated dogs but then for some reason known only to him, he started attacking the goats and our mini horses. He was BRUTAL with my daughter's filly and nearly killed her. He chased the goats and grabbed one by the neck once and I said "that's it! you're outta here buddy!". For the first several months though he was the sweetest thing towards the goats and the minis both. I don't know what happened. He was a 6 or 7 yr old jack. We would have had him gelded had he been younger but I figured at that age he had learned those bad habits for a lifetime - gelded or not.

My only advice would be to avoid a stallion. Ours had been living with a goat when we bought him and it didn't guarantee ourt goats' safety from the little bugger at all.

They are beautiful animals and I wish you the best of luck though!

Kristen

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I've heard that the mini donkeys are too small to guard. Just what I've heard though. Definitely avoid a Jack, get a Jenny or a gelding.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It really does depend on their dispositions - as long as the biggest has what he wants, everyone else will usually line up. But when the agenda changes- for instance you have a male donkey and a female is added, the male may decide that he needs to be more aggressive or a female may decide to keep everything away from her chosen companion, etc etc. So adding may change the dynamic a lot. I owned a horse who was as cooperative as could be until he was put in a herd of mares- he became lead "stallion" although a gelding and suddently at age 14 became dangerous. You never can tell. They have their own lives.
    A newey may need to be assertive in a new situation were they haven't been previously- usually a new equine is submissive until they take the lay of the land then they start working their way up to the highest level they can.
    I think mini- donkey's are adorable- good luck- just keep an eye out.

9. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have had llamas for about 8 years now. We use them for packing but they are very protective of the goats. They have been very gentle around the kids (even tiny nigerian kids). You want a gelded male if getting a male llama. I have had people tell me they like females better as they are more protective (and spitty). I have had female llamas and much prefer the geldings personality. When a stray dog wanders to the fence they all head that direction to check it out. Have never had a dog get in with the llamas. Have had my own personal dogs rolled by the llamas when getting too close. A local llama owner had a pack of dogs get in and kill one of this llamas so it can happen. The goats become very attached to the llamas and things have worked very well for me. I had wanted a miniature donkey but read on this forum or another about this particular donkey stomping and killing the kids so glad I didn't continue to look. The llamas are very easy keepers and I have a thing about dog poop in my pasture! The goats eat a lot more than any llama. The one down side is that it is nice to have them sheared every year and I have had to learn to do that since not too many people will shear llamas. You can get a sheep person to shear but it is a bit different shearing a sheep! Also they do strip trees like goats. They poop and pee in one place. They are very peaceful creatures.
    Sue