The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have Lulu and yes she is still big. Was trimming her hooves and noticed that the quick seems to have gotten long and narrow. Is this common? She is getting to be around 10 years plus in age, does this come with age? Also if I continue to trim as close as possible without nicking will the quick reduce back to normal?
I know someone will complain that I don't use the same thread so they can see pictures. Go back to Nov 2010 and search Lulu she will appear. Thanks for any help regarding hoof care.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
3 years warrent a new thread lol..no worries..lol...

Her hoof growth can change with age, diet, mineral and enviorment, such as sandy ground vrs rocky..if I understand correct you are talking about hoof pad getting more narrow?? How thick are the walls? any change there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply. What I mean is when I trim her hoof the quick seems to be longer as if it follows the length (growth) of the hoof. If you look at pictures of a normal hoof bottom the fleshy portion gradually rounds at the top. Her's seem to have grown longer like it is following the length of the hoof. Will the quick recede as you cut closer each time?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
This I am not sure of...hopefully some one will chime in...;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts