Lump above teat on udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Steampunked, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Steampunked

Steampunked Active Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    Hello folks. My 50% Nigerian cross is currently 2 weeks before kidding, assuming she's bothered reading the goat handbook. She has kidded before, though not with me. Tested for CL, negative. She has developed a lump above the teat in her udder. Any ideas what it could be? Mastitis, with plug still present? Old injury showing up now her udder's formed?

She is eating well, still goes for a jog if annoyed by her herd mate, in good spirits, and doesn't object to touches there more than anywhere else (which is to say, she hates it, but no screaming as she will sometimes decide to do if her hooves are trimmed or anyone looks at her in a way she doesn't approve of). It didn't feel hot, or different.

goatudder.jpg

Trollmor likes this.
  2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm not sure what it may be ....it could be a blocked duct and she's congested I'd give large doses of vitamin c because that's always prudent for udder health and health in general.
    but that said; I'm bumping so someone can chime in with more knowledge than me.

Sfgwife and Iluvlilly! like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Possibly a reaction to an insect bite or sting? Is there a visible center? (Like getting ready to come to a head, or a stinger present?)

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  5. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Good thought! They're in Australia...opposite seasons to ours..

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Could very well be that.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Try putting a paste of baking soda on it, in the event it is a sting or insect bite. Very puzzling for sure. (Not much help, sorry).

8. Steampunked

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    I'll give her the vitamin C. It could definitely be an insect bite, though I would have thought it would go down faster. It's soft. I'm wondering if it's a blocked duct or gland. There is no visible center to it, but to be completely honest, she's not going to let me get a really close look unless she's completely restrained.

Are the children's chewable vit C tablets okay? I don't have access to injectables.

Am I correct in thinking I shouldn't try to milk it as a preventative to mastitis because removing the plug at this point could actually introduce mastitis instead?

9. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yes, chewable vitamin c's are fine I give 2 for a total of 500 mgs but I'd double it for a doe with udder problems. No, don't milk her or remove plug because if she doesn't have mastitis she could get it. You could gently massage her udder with peppermint oil in a carrier like coconut oil that's good for congested udders. Good luck, I hope it gets resolved soon.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Steampunked

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    Hello everyone.

I thought I'd post an update with what the issue turned out to be. It looks like she came into milk (well, colostrum) about four weeks too early. By the time she gave birth, she was huge! And I mean. Er. Huge.

It looks like she got an insect sting and then the raised flesh kept rubbing on her leg, and the irritation made a larger and larger lump. Because her udder kept getting bigger, it couldn't heal.

She's had vitamin c and probiotics, but while the lump is much reduced, it's probably because three babies have helped bring her udder down. It's turned out that three babies is nowhere near enough, however, so now she's going to be milked morning and evening to help.

12. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks for the update! I'd love to see pictures of her triplets. Congratulations.
    Now that she's kidded you could give her some benedryl. It might help, but it's been quite a while since you first noticed the lump a bug bite should have gone away by now I would think. I'd call the university vet department or your vet for ideas on why it hasn't. She sounds really dairy able to feed three and be milked. Wow!

13. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    One more from Australia, nice!
    And maybe insect season all the year round?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California