The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I noticed that my little Minerva had a Aggie marble sized lump on her throat. She’s CL NEGITIVE…It looked like a milk goiter but wasn’t. Then I thought maybe iodine deficiency so I painted her tail for 4 days… but no big change in absorption…not that…
So this morning I took her to the vet and she went through the same thought process…We discussed her feeds, minerals, and both were somewhat stumped. We decided to ultrasound it to see if it was fluid or pus and it was fluid, so she stuck a syringe in and it came out blood filled, it was a hematoma…we didn’t see that coming ….the only thing we could guess happened is when she got her head stuck in the fence a couple weeks ago she really bruised herself pretty good or maybe a goat got her.
It just goes to show you can’t jump to conclusions over a lump….

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Yes..glad that was an easy fix....goat never stop throwing us curve balls lol

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Wow, that’s scary, but so glad it wasn’t what you thought!
Thanks for posting this, so we can all learn.

• Love
Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m a bit concerned, her neck is still swollen and even though we drained quite a bit of the hematoma she’s still got the bump/lump.
Minerva‘s not quite right…if you know what I mean.
She eats, but not like I’d like to see, she’s up and around but not playing, just sort of mopey.
Granted weve been really hot the past couple days and she just wants to lay by the fan in the barn but it’s just this sort of off, not quite right thing going on.
I hate giving meds that not called for, but I’m tempted to give her a light dose of banamine to see it it will help with the swelling and discomfort. She gets her next dose of antibiotic tomorrow….
I just hate seeing her mopey, …..
What do y’all think?

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you call the vet and ask? I can't remember if Banamine thins the blood. While I agree she needs some pain/swelling relief, you don't want to make the hematoma worse.
Thanks.
I have a call in, I was thinking the same. I have a MSDS sheet on banamine and basically it says like all NSAID’s consult a vet (or (MD)….

1 - 17 of 17 Posts