The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I just noticed that one of our Doe's has 2x cysts/lumps. One is on her lower jaw area, and one is on her neck. The one on her jaw she doesn't seem to like being touched, and if I give it a lil squeeze she backs off a bit.

Are cysts normal in goats, or should I be looking a bit further into it?

They're small.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Some cysts are normal and some aren't.
Are you able to post a picture for us?
Are they hard?
are they soft?
Do they have hair on them.?

They sound like maybe they're in typical CL areas though that doesn't mean that's what it is. It just means you need to proceed with caution.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Could they be bee stings? Have you recently had a vet out to do fecal tests for CL? Definitely keep a close eye on her and if they do not go away by Tuesday I would call your vet to see what they think.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: The cysts have burst or something and are pretty much gone - Now just scabs.

New problem with same goat: Bad scours. I noticed them yesterday after being out in the big paddock eating for the day. Came home today and she looks the same but bum a lot messier. Went to look in goat house and lots of scoury poo everywhere. I have given her some bakin soda and some vigest w probios to give her some thing to maybe help but unsure what to do at this stage. She's still looking fine & happy her normal self... She still has her kids on her - Could this be the reason?>

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Na, most likely just ate to much of something that didnt agree with her. Id keep an eye on her over the next day or so and see if she gets better. You already started off doing the right things and I am sure some poo experts will chime in :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Sounds about right:) when you wake up in the morning, if it still continues through out the day then go ahead and give her 5cc of pepto bismol.
If it's still going on after about 12 hours then I'd say it's coccidia an to go ahead and treat for that ;)
Make sure she gets plenty of water and maybe put some gatoraid in her water:)

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I would give pepto to help dry her up and sooth her tummy..No feed until she berries up..hay and graze, green leaves only...no wet graze...let the sun dry things up before setting her out.
if its real watery (thin pudding or worse) I would also be giving C D Antitoxin or if you cant get that then use Milk of Magnesia 15 cc per 60#

if the poo has a green look to it, its most likely dietary...too much graze, wet graze, too much feed ect...
if its dark brown to black could be parasites...

have a fecal done and include Cocci to rule worms out..or to know what to treat for
check for anemia, lower inner eye lids should be bright pink to red..
B complex is a great support vitamin to give and Of course Probiotics. Keeping her well hydrated is important as well

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks happybleats. She has runny green poo. She is very happy otherwise... will keep feeding hay & try & find some pepto

1 - 14 of 14 Posts