The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our buckling was born with this lump on his neck, at first we thought it was CL so we separated him from the rest of the herd for a few weeks but nothing happened with it. So we did some more research and thought maybe it was a milk goiter, but as he was weaned and separated from his mother and the rest of the does it stayed. He is now 6 1/2 months old and it is still there and is still growing as he gets bigger. It is not very firm but not watery.. Someone said maybe an iodine deficiency so we sprayed iodine along his back 3 days ago and still nothing. And anything i see online doesn't seem to help. He is eating great, his bowels are perfect, and is acting completely normal. But it does seem like its starting to bother him now that is getting chillier and he has become a little more vocal. Please help us figure out what we can give him or do for him! Thanks in advance!

image-3161600505.jpg

image-3217910041.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Is it a possible tumor?

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
He literally had this lump on him when he was born? If that is so, sounds like a tumor or something that a vet should look at.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
it does not look like the correct placemtn for a goiter..to check iodine def. you would need to paint his tail web ( underside of tail with no hair) If he absorbs it then its iodine def.

But I agree..possibly a tumor....I vet visit is needed...especially if its beginning tobother him..Good News is that is not CL

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Could be a salivary cyst, I see it is just below his wattle. I've seen a few goats get cysts around their wattles, but usually those were soft. If he was born with it, then it would have to be a tumor of some kind. Have you had your vet check it out?

If he wasn't born with it I would highly suspect a salivary cyst. If it is soft enough you can stick a needle in it and see what comes out, but I would consult your veterinarian first.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I see it is just below his wattle
i didnt even notice the waddles ...humm..could be a waddle cyst...I had a buck born with one...it was very tiny at first..size of a pea...by the time he was 4-5 months old it was bigger than a gulf ball...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! We had one of our "goat friends" come to look at it who has had goats for over 20 years she has seen it before and she helped us drain it. There was a bunch of cloudy liquid that came out... Little Ralpie is like new and he is sooo much happier he's acting like a different goat! What a relief!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
glad he is feeling better...if it was a waddle cyst...it will be back , but at least you know what to do : ) did your goat friend say what they thought it was??

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Great to hear your boy is feeling better :) Does your friend have any idea what it is exactly ? I'm interested in knowing myself ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She said it was probably a cyst. I guess if was a tumor it would be more attached to him and this was hanging from him. Hopefully it doesn't come back but if it does we won't be as worried as we were.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts