Lump in the udder?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by shayblur, Apr 2, 2010.

1. shayblur

shayblur New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    About a month ago, one of my does kidded with triplets (we're so proud of her!). I've been milking her, and noticed a lump in her udder, right at the top of the teat. This was about a week after her kidding. She seems sensitive about it, but then she is a very 'kicky' girl anyway. If I squeeze the lump, she doesn't like it. It feels hard, and is on the left half of her udder. She does let the kids nuse off of the left side, but she has a bigger 'stream' of milk on the other half. Her skin is kind of leathery on both sides of the udder. She has a large udder, and the rest of it seems normal. I don't think it's mastitis, but I can't for the life of me think what else it could possibly be. I'm about to go crazy! :help:

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Some goats can get calcium deposits around their teats...I'm not sure about treating it, but I do know a person I show with that had an Alpine with one. :shrug: Maybe that??

3. shayblur

shayblur New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I suppose it could be that... we ARE giving her a calcium supplement... maybe we should top that? :?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm cant imagine it -- do you have a picture?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. shayblur

shayblur New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Well... the problem is, you can't see it from the outside. I didn't even notice it until I felt it. The teat looks completely normal from the outside, the same as the other one. The rest of the udder feels normal, too. She's Boer, mixed with dairy, and is something of a 'rescue'. I'm trying to figure out if bad genetics is causing this. Also... I'm still trying to figure out my camera... :oops:

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am wondering if maybe this doe had an extra teat and it was removed. Maybe this is scar tissue you are feeling?

8. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    I had a friend come over tonight who felt the same in my girl. He told me to massge it daily, he said its not a concern.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow....that is a mystery...hmm.... I am dumb founded... :scratch: :hug:

10. shayblur

shayblur New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Well, I don't think it's a removed teat (she didn't exactly have the best care before we got her), but we will try massaging it. Thankies for all the replies! :thumb:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...wish I could of helped more...but I have to be honest... I just don't know....I agree ..it doesn't sound like a removed teat to me either... it would be very noticeable.. :hug:

12. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Thats gonna drive me crazy that I can't think of it. lol I'll try to look it up. And I agree try massaging it. And if it was a removed teat wouldn't there be a bit of a mark?

13. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    did you get the lump massaged out? Im curious because my oldest doe just developed one that sounds exactly the same as your describing...

14. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It is probably just inflammed tissue...that is pretty common in early lactation...sometimes it goes away quickly and other times it may be there for months. It usually seems to happen in front of the teats, at the top of the rear udder, or near the medial division. The best way I can describe it is that it is a mass that feels like the consistency of a human calf muscle. The others are right--all you can do is massage it regularly. Vicks and peppermint oil massages can increase blood flow and help clear out the swelling.

15. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Dolomite and vitamin c will clear it if it is subclinical mastitis. 1 heaping teaspoon of each, 3x a day, according to Pat Coleby.

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Can I ask what dolomite does for mastitis? I am not doubting its use, just never heard of it.

17. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Could it be the beganning of a congested udder? The doe I was working with had a soild rock for a udder. After using pepermint oil and giving vit C it started looking/feeling much better.

18. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I belong to an email list with goat folks from around the world. One lady in New Zealand rubs they udder with cabbage that she purees in the food processor. :ponder: Sounds weird to me - but she swears by it. (She's been raising goats for over 20 years...)

19. shayblur

shayblur New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Sorry I haven't replied for so long... but it is right in front of the teat, so it may be inflammation. That would make sense, especially since one of the kids has been biting her. I've been giving her vit. C every day, but I don't have dolomite- I'll see if I can get some. I agree with Crocee, though- what exactly does it do for mastitis? The lump is starting to get softer, and it's getting easier to milk her. She is still antsy about being milked on that side, but she isn't bothered by nursing the kids. I'll try to keep y'all posted. :)

20. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I'm not sure how the dolomite works, but I've seen it clear subclinical mastitis and keep it cleared.