Lump in udder?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jubillee, Jan 10, 2018 at 4:45 PM.

1. We recently (about 1 month ago) acquired a 1.5 year old doe with a 2 week (at the time) buckling. She was not as tame as our spoiled goats, so I have been working on getting her to trust me over this month. Today I got her on a lead and took her to the stanchion as I was doing hoof trims. Good gosh IDK if the previous owners trimmed much. I decided to see if I could milk her as she had never been milked before and has had 3 twin births. (seems a lot for 1.5 years old :( )

I got a little milk and she was tolerating me messing with her udder. However, I could feel a large lump in each side of her udder, as in about the size of my palm. Her udder was not warm at all, she didn't respond when I massaged the lumps. She has a nice coat, nice weight, no other issues I have seen. She is a Nigerian.

Ideas of what could cause this and treatments or steps to take? This is new to me as our other doe we milked had a nice soft udder and never had issues.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How did her milk look?

Lumps on each side? Do you mean on the outside or inside the udder? Is it hard or soft?

Can you get a pic?

3. I will try to get a picture tomorrow. The little I could milk out looked just fine. She's been nursing the little 1.5 month old buckling all this time.

The lumps are inside in the upper portion of her udder near her body. They feel hard. I went out today as I've been massaging them in case ducts were clogged. You can feel softness around the bottom part then if you push up, you can feel, actually grab this mass feeling in the top. Both sides have the mass and it for the most part fits my palm. I do have smaller hands but that is how I can describe it. If I massage, there isn't any give in them, they're fairly hard.

4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I have the same thing happen with my doe, I used horse peppermint liniment oil and massaged it into her udder. The judge at the fair told me it was normal and will come out eventually

Jubillee likes this.
  5. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Last summer my doe had a couple hard lumps in the udder/teat area on her left side. They felt exactly like the lumps you described in your doe. It wasn't mastitis (according to the CMT kit I used) but twice a day I started giving her Mastoblast orally, which is a homeopathic used to treat mastitis in cows. After a week of treatment the lumps were almost completely gone, and two weeks later her udder was back to normal. I highly recommend Mastoblast, we have also used it successfully on our milk cows.

Jubillee and Goatzrule like this.
  6. Thank you! I will look into this.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  7. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    It also comes in some kind udder balm, but I haven't had the chance to use that yet. :) Good luck!

Goatzrule and Jubillee like this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All, very good advice.

No pictures needed, if it is on the inside.

Jubillee likes this.
  9. I ordered the Mastoblast and it should be here in tomorrow or Monday. I'll give her that and doses of Vit C and pray it helps. Other things I was reading was meaty udder which I pray isn't the issue as I'd love to keep her. We really can't afford to keep them if we can't milk unfortunately. So fingers crossed the mastoblast helps!

I also plan after the baby is weaned, to let her dry and give her a season off. Poor think I think has been back to back pregnant for her 3 pregnancies.

10. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    You can milk a doe with meaty udder. I had a doe with quite the meaty udder, and she gave close to a gallon a day.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. That is good to know. Would you describe a meaty udder to me? Is it about the same as what I've described? It's been hard finding a good description. When I currently try to milk her, I feel like I can't get the milk down because these lumps/masses are in the way. Of course she feeds her buckling so she may not have much in there when I try. My husband is great with milking, I need to get him to try after I run this med through her.

12. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Meaty udder takes up the whole udder. It's basically excess udder cartilage. You have massage and bump and bit more than normal, kind of feels similar to congestion.

toth boer goats and Jubillee like this.
  13. Hmm, ok thank you! This sounds like a possibility. We'll see then. I do notice the buckling bumping a lot. I know babies tend to do that but he seems to excessively. But he's growing great so I feel like he is getting enough. I'll try that when we get her on the stand again.

14. This is her and her boy. Her name is Pansy and that is Napolean!

0102181159c.jpg

Goat_Scout and toth boer goats like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    She is beautiful! And what a cute 'lil buckling!

Jubillee likes this.