lump on doeling's jaw

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by citylights, Feb 7, 2010.

1. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Patsy, my 4 m.o. doeling, has a lump on her lower jaw. I looked it up in the Goat Medicine book and it looks like it's located where a salivary cyst would be. Except that it's hard and painful. Tomorrow I'm going to shave it and get some pics, but does anyone have any ideas? SHe's probably 20 lbs and it's about the size of a walnut. I ran my finger in along the teeth on the bottom jaw, but can't feel anyting.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could she have eaten anything that would have poked her and caused a sliver?

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Could it be CL? Or the start of bottle jaw?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can it be a mess of food in her cheek...? Or like Stacey said ...could be a splinter.... :hug:

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    That is one of the main areas that CL shows.... but most likely it is from hay or straw. Do you have straw bales in with your goats? I have had 2 does get that from rubbing their faces on straw bales. (My herd is tested for CL.... so it's definitely not that)

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm not sure what it is. Isn't bottle jaw soft? My herd's been tested for CL and has been closed for almost 3 years -- the doe I bought in Nov. came from a closed herd as well (a bunch of us got together, tested and closed at the same time). Plus I sold patsy's mom in November and tested her again before I shipped her.

I'm going to shave it and look at it more closely. But it's sounding like a trip to the vet -- whoopee! ;]

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    dont ya just love those ;)

hope its just a splinter.

8. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    It might just be a piece of thistle or something from hay. That happened to a friend of mine, they got thistle from a new bale of hay and it became swollen and resembled a lump. Their vet came and lanced it with no problem (they were going to a show in a couple of weeks and any lump on the face/neck area, no matter what it is, is obviously not allowed to leave the trailer) and there wasn't anything wrong with it. Hopefully thats all it is!! :)

-Meagan

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If its along her jaw its in the wrong spot for CL. CL is under the ear at the back of the jaw. Sounds to me like a calcified abcess. Which is fairly common in young kids. Ive had two kids with this. If looks and feels like an abcess except its rock hard. And if you cut into it nothing comes out. We've had to get the vet out and he cuts it out. It comes out looking like a small marble.
    beth

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Beth as far as it's location, it's not a CL lump...being hard and firm also tells me it's not. A trip to the vet will help with her pain, please let us know how it goes.