The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night that my wether has a lump on his jaw. It's about the size of a quarter, hard, not hot, doesn't seem to be painful. I'm thinking it's probably not CL, judging by the placement and the fact that I've had all of my goats for at least a year and none of them have shown outward signs of being infected with CL. Any input into what this might be? The wether seems perky and is acting normal. I haven't noticed any cuts, bites, etc. that could have caused this. My mom did look inside his mouth as I held him, and thought she might have seen a white spot, like a big one of those mouth sores that humans can get, on the inside of his mouth, corresponding to the spot where the lump would be. I wonder if he maybe bit himself or ate something sharp, like a thorn?
Don't think it's bottlejaw, as he does not look anemic.
I am taking him into the vet, just to be safe, but Saturday is the soonest I can get in. I was planning to do biosecurity testing soon, anyway, so I'll have the vet do the blood draws for him and his pasture mate on Saturday for CAE/CL/Johnes tests. My vet uses Sage Labs for their testing. Is that a good lab?
I'd love any input on what this could be, and if anyone with more experience has reason to believe that it could be CL, after all. I'm practicing sanitation measures, thorough hand washing, changing shoes after going in his pen, just to be on the safe side.

20200611_143711.jpg 20200611_143713.jpg 20200611_143720.jpg 20200611_143724.jpg

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
The location is very concerning. Fingers crossed for good results! They can definitely get abscesses from a thorn in the mouth or tooth infections. The fact that you've had them for a year definitely does not make the risk of CL any less. It can lay dormant a long long time.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The location is very concerning. Fingers crossed for good results! They can definitely get abscesses from a thorn in the mouth or tooth infections. The fact that you've had them for a year definitely does not make the risk of CL any less. It can lay dormant a long long time.
It is closer to the mouth than the ear. It's hard to tell that from the photos. My understanding is that CL lumps are generally between the ear and the throat. But thanks! I'm hoping the vet can get some pus out to do a culture.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It could honestly be something as simple as a bee or wasp sting, since they're really coming out now.

That being said, always err on the side of caution. I sleep better testing and getting a negative result. If the swelling goes down, your chances are good that it's nothing.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the input! Vet also thought it would be a weird place for a CL abscess. The lump hasn't changed at all since Wed. pm, when I first noticed it. It's still small and hard, so we could not draw pus for a culture. A blood sample has been sent to the lab, though.
Vet thinks it may be a tooth abscess, so she gave him a shot of Excede. The thinking is, if it's a tooth abscess, the antibiotic will make it better temporarily, and then it will come back.
I am hoping for something like a sting or a thorn, and maybe, with the antibiotic, it will just clear up completely. Only time will tell. I guess I'll just keep monitoring him and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could honestly be something as simple as a bee or wasp sting, since they're really coming out now.

That being said, always err on the side of caution. I sleep better testing and getting a negative result. If the swelling goes down, your chances are good that it's nothing.
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for, too. But I won't risk infecting my other goats or someone else's herd from kids I sell off my property.

·
8,163 Posts
Can you carefully (really!) run your finger along the inside of the mouth along the jaw and cheek to see if it is coming to a head inside the mouth? Be really careful, those teeth are super sharp.

I have an old solid rubber (a little larger round than a pencil) stick I use to hold the mouth open to look for stuff. They hate it, but you won't lose a finger that way. A good dowel rod works too, and a helper!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you carefully (really!) run your finger along the inside of the mouth along the jaw and cheek to see if it is coming to a head inside the mouth? Be really careful, those teeth are super sharp.

I have an old solid rubber (a little larger round than a pencil) stick I use to hold the mouth open to look for stuff. They hate it, but you won't lose a finger that way. A good dowel rod works too, and a helper!
I really like that idea! Do you use the stick to hold the bottom jaw and your hand on the top jaw, or what? Those teeth ARE sharp...I've lost quite a bit of skin from time to time.
I will see if I can get a helper out there to hold him for me so I can personally check the inside of his mouth.
Today, feeling from the outside, the lump is almost gone. Yesterday, it felt like a little, pea-sized spot that was sort of 'floating' around inside the skin. I could move it a bit with my fingers, where before, it was solid and didn't move.
I have a hard time imagining that a tooth abscess would be bad enough to cause a lump on the side of his head without putting him off his feed. But I guess I'll know for sure in a week or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts