The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend, I noticed a huge lump on Ellie's neck. I don't know when it showed up since it's been dark when I've done morning and night chores lately. I've been trying to figure out what it is, and the closest I've gotten is bottle jaw, but as I said, it on her neck. It's hard and doesn't seem to hurt her (I can squeeze and move it). It's big enough that it just fits into my hand. It doesn't seem to be slowing her down any, though. She still eats a ton (hasn't lost any weight) and runs around. So far, it hasn't gotten any bigger, but it also hasn't gotten smaller. I'm just worried about it eventually getting big enough to cut off her breathing and eating.
Snow Fence Sheep Goat Fawn

· Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
Being hard makes me think her salivary gla d possibley. Is is more under the jaw or on the jaw? Here us a guide of possible cysts. Bottle jaw will be soft and fluid feeling under the jaw and often down the neck. Check her famancha and temp as well
Head Dog Jaw Organism Font

· Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being hard makes me think her salivary gla d possibley. Is is more under the jaw or on the jaw? Here us a guide of possible cysts. Bottle jaw will be soft and fluid feeling under the jaw and often down the neck. Check her famancha and temp as well
View attachment 241325
It's under her jaw, on the neck. It's kind of on the place of number 6.

· Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
So possibly goiter? You can test that easy enough by painting her tail web with iodine. If it absorbs within 24 hours then keep painting it in until it no longer absorbs. If this is the case adding kelpnto the herd diet will provide the iodine for them.
Another thought is some sort of bite

Reactions: groovyoldlady

· Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to take a better picture of it, and my only chance was while she was eating. It seems like it is now starting to flatten out so it's not a tight ball but rather a tight pancake or something (I don't know how else to describe it lol).
Dog breed Carnivore Dog Wood Fence

1 - 8 of 8 Posts