Lump on head

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by EmilyZ2012, Aug 14, 2017.

1. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    I just got home from vacation this morning and found this lovely lump on one of my doe's heads. It feels like there's fluid inside. My herd is CL tested and everyone came back negative. I did, however, have a CL positive doe last year, but a vet drained the abscess and I quarantined her and got rid of her the next day. I do have bee hives in my pasture and it's likely she got stung, but I'm not sure. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would wait and see. I wouldn't be quick to Lance or anything.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It may be a bee sting, if it is soft.
    Giving benadryl may help.

I agree, don't lance it.

4. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    I gave Benadryl and wasn't planning on lancing. It's still the same size today. Will bee stings last a while on a goat?

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You should see some relief by the next day, any swelling going down at all?

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  7. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Sorry for no updates. I couldn't get on my account for the longest time for some reason. The lump is still there and it hasn't changed in size or appearance. I'm planning on making a vet appointment to lance it when I find a new vet. My old one quit making farm calls. I'm a little nervous about it now.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    I found a vet. He's coming next week. I'm almost positive it's CL at this point though. The abscess is starting to lose hair. I don't understand where she got infected. Nobody else is positive and the nightmare I dealt with last year was managed very carefully to avoid infecting anyone else. The goats are in a new pasture this year and I have nowhere else to put them. Any ideas on how to finally put an end to this other than burning the pastures or getting rid of the goats? I don't want to cull her but probably don't have a choice

10. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    What pretty goats you have! I do hope it's not CL. I suppose you have her quarantined in an easy to sanitize area?

11. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Thanks; the only place I can put her is an extra very small pasture that has a lean to that's in rough shape and a fence that one of my potbelly pigs keeps digging under. It's a mess, but I can't keep her in my new barn until I know what I'm dealing with. Unfortunately, she also has a 6 month old daughter that is still nursing.

catharina likes this.
  12. I have no idea if this is helpful but I had a sheep with a similar looking bump which lost hair, thankfully the vet said it was a liquid full lump completely harm less! It look weird but I was happy it was okay :) I hope yours has the same case, best wishes.

bamaherd likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad a vet will look at it.

If it is above the ear on the head area, I really don't think it is CL, not the right location.
    Do know, any type of abscess can bald before ripening. So that isn't an indication of CL.

Be sure it is tested though, when the vet gets there just in case.

Any abscess needs to be ripe and soft before opening it up to drain it. If it is done too soon you are not going to get all the bad out of there. If it needs drained.

catharina likes this.
  14. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    The last doe I had that had a CL positive abscess had it by her tail, which was also not a common place, so I was told it probably wasn't either, so now any bump on any of my goats makes me nervous. This abscess has been soft since it appeared, almost like it's filled with air. I will definitely make sure he sends a culture to be tested. That's good to know about the balding. Thank you for all of your help.

catharina likes this.
  15. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Can you put her in your garage?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    By her tail? Was the goo itself tested from there?
    I know a lympnode is a lot lower in the rear area.

Really odd, becasue it isn't a lympnode area at all.
    I wonder if tests results were mixed up somehow?
    It is hard to believe it was CL from there?
    Maybe blood test her and see if she is negative or positive so you know for sure, it should read something, if she is, if you still have her.
    I am not doubting you at all, I am questioning the test results.

If soft all along, I would think hematoma from maybe head butting.

17. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    When the vet drained the abscess, the pus looked like classic CL and he sent it to UC Davis. Yes, it was on the flank at the base of the tail. There is no lymph node there, yet CL still grew there, so I don't know what to believe anymore. It makes it very hard and confusing. She was also unthrifty. She is gone, unfortunately. I was so excited about her and never even got to breed or milk her. I'd be thrilled if it's hematoma on this doe!

catharina likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah wow, it is confusing for sure. :(

Praying it is just a hematoma on the doe, I bet it is, but having it tested will let you know for sure.

Keep me updated.

catharina likes this.
  19. EmilyZ2012

EmilyZ2012 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    There's a tiny amount of blood coming out of it now.