The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go again borrowing trouble. My little 3 month old dabble I bought about a month ago now he’s 4 months. This is the one I have had so much trouble with the pneumonia and then the higher temps than it should have been. Yesterday I trimmed hooves on all the new comers and giving the CD/T 1st vaccine. After this was done with all, he, Abel came to me I i was patting him and scratching his heard and rubbing around on him and found a lump or mass on the mid neck section toward where his shoulders start. It appears from feeling it that it is about a 1/4 inch thick and about 1-1/2 x 1” . When I felt of it it didn’t seem to bother him and from just looking you can not see it. He no longer coughs and eats well. After my CL bout I had before this scares me. Thanks

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it was after the vaccine That found it. Probably about 6 hours later. Location in picture is about right, but can they show this CL at 3-4 months? I was told that it would not show up until at least 2 years.

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,498 Posts
If you never saw it before the shot, but you see it after the shot, chances are, it's from the shot! You can alternate hot and cold compresses to see if swelling goes down, but vaccine lumps are what they are, not much you can do.

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you never saw it before the shot, but you see it after the shot, chances are, it's from the shot! You can alternate hot and cold compresses to see if swelling goes down, but vaccine lumps are what they are, not much you can do.
I just checked him at evening feeding and it's still there. It is different from the CL knot I dealt with in the past year and a half. Those knots popped up about the size of an almond (shelled). This is about the size and shape of a small egg in shape (circumference the long way)but feels like about 1/4 thick. I pray it's not CL because losing my last one like to got the best of me. She was a sweet heart of a goat and these newcomers were bought to take some pain away. (If this makes any sense) it does to me.

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CL doesn't show up that fast. I really think it is the vaccine.
Thanks,I needed to hear that. Although I know what it is and how devastating it is. You know I keep thinking, could CL cause the high temperature I was dealing with for so long? I really don't know if he had the knot when I bought him. From now on I will know because I will check them out better. I wonder if the guy I bought him from knew this, but again I'm borrowing trouble, only time will tell. Again thanks.

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking this is too large for a vaccine lump. I mean normally a vaccine lump is kinda contained where you give the shot. This would be about 2-3 inches towards shoulder from where I gave the shot. I feel on the other side opposite of the mass another cord like it is a neck muscle. I don't know.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,498 Posts
I'm thinking this is too large for a vaccine lump. I mean normally a vaccine lump is kinda contained where you give the shot. This would be about 2-3 inches towards shoulder from where I gave the shot. I feel on the other side opposite of the mass another cord like it is a neck muscle. I don't know.
The goat could have had a varied reaction to it, see how it looks tomorrow. If the size changes, I would absolutely say it is a vaccine lump but that he had a more severe response.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Could it be a prior vaccine placement? It sounds more like a vaccine knot or abscess to me possibly from a shot given a while back. I recently had 3 wethers 2 with front armpit knots, confirmed shots where given in the armpit skin. 1 abscessed and had to be drained the other cleared on it's own. The 3rd never got a knot, but another wether from the same seller had to drain an abscess in the same place also. I have another 3 month old doe from a different seller with a knot in the armpit also, I found it when I was purchasing her and asked immediately if it was a vaccine placement. If it's not from a vaccine or shot you have given I would try to contact the seller to confirm if any shots where given there. Confirm any shots, type, location, and date. Even if they can't remember exactly which side it may relieve your worry to confirm that as a possibility.

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a make shift drawing that is almost exact size of what I'm dealing with. It is about 1/4 inch thick and flat with an egg shape circumference.
Textile Sleeve Handwriting Font T-shirt

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is located about where the neck joins the body and about midway in position.
Wood Sleeve Rectangle Mammal Creative arts

Excuse the artist drawing

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 35 Posts