Lump on nubian's side

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ashspd50, May 14, 2015.

1. ashspd50

ashspd50 New Member

May 27, 2014
    I have only had goats for a couple years so I am very much still a newby. About three weeks ago we added a Nubian doeling to our small herd. She was 6 weeks old. Yesterday I noticed she has a lump on her side in the area of the stomach that is a little smaller than a ping pong ball. It is not visible by just looking at her, however it can't be missed if you are petting her. I am praying this isn't CL and our current herd was just tested about two months ago and were all clear. Does anyone have any information they might be able to share on CL before I freak out and contact the vet?

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    At 9 weeks old..i doubt its CL....also stomach is not a CL location...but since I cant see where on the stomach it is...its hard to say...here is a picture to show CL locations..CL is a bacteria infection of the lymph nodes...so if no Lymph Nodes in the area..then its not CL...

is the lump hard or soft?..round or odd shape? can you pinch around it? under it?..does it cause her pain to mess with it?

Attached Files:

3. nigies4ever

nigies4ever Haley

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    If it's on the side of the body, it's highly possible that it's an injection site abcess. These are slight allergic reactions that some goats get to certain vaccines.

You can post a pic of the location and we may be able to tell you. Also ask whoever you bought from if and where she was given any shots/vaccines.

4. nigies4ever

nigies4ever Haley

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Also, behind or on her ribcage?

5. ashspd50

ashspd50 New Member

May 27, 2014
    The lump is round and right center on the side of her gut area. I can't pinch behind it. The attached side is flush to her side. I wouldn't say it is hard as you can squeeze it some, but it is not really soft either. It definitely keeps its form when I touched it. She doesn't seem to notice it at all when I touch it.

6. ashspd50

ashspd50 New Member

May 27, 2014
    It is right in the center of the side of the gut area.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Was a shot given in that area?

8. ashspd50

ashspd50 New Member

May 27, 2014
    Not since we have had her.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How long have you had her and could the previous owner have given a shot there?

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Maybe call the breeder and ask them if she had a vaccine given...other wise...I would just keep a close eye on it...see if it changes..as long as its not causing any problems ...center belly is not a CL location...:wink:

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, contact the breeder.

DO you think maybe she was slammed?

Otherwise it may be a sticker ect.

Or bee sting ect.

Did it come up overnight?

12. ashspd50

ashspd50 New Member

May 27, 2014
    It did show up overnight. It's possible she was hit by one of the others as she is the newest to the group and they have definitely been showing her she is the low man in the herd. You all are making me feel better. I'll definitely be watching it though.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California