The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pygmy doe has a round lump on the right side of her throat. she had a sore ( vets had no idea what it was possible puncture wound from fence it something) that healed up perfectly and it has been gone for a while now suddenly this huge lump had shown up. it almost feels like a tumor would when you palpate and feel around it. the Vet is coming out soon (this week) for shots and general checks but are there any ideas of what this is before I am charged a fortune for a bunch of unneeded tests. any suggestions or thoughts are helpful.

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
Is it on the same spot as the sore? could you post a picture of it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is or at least really close. my phone camera is broken unfortunately. it isnt as noticeable from just looking just a little bump and about the size around of a dime. it feels about the size of a large marble when I actually feel "in" around it. it doesn't seem to affect her yet I am afraid if it gets bigger it will though since she is really small and it is against her throat

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Has she a tetanus shot in the last 6 months? I had a dog that got a lump like you are describing a couple months after getting a puncture in the same spot by a barbed wire fence. He had a long fight for his his life and needed a year of antibiotics to combat Tetanus.

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
what did the original sore look like? A puncture or lump like this one? Could it be the same thing returning?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she got tetanus shot last summer and then again when she went in for the wound. it was different when she had the wound then now

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was round kind of bump but just external then hole in middle that was the actual sore. nothing drained when squeezed

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
Does she have any fever? ..How long since her injury? The location be just by chance, having nothing to do with the injury, but if its fairly recent it could be infected again,...does she come from CL clean herd? Is the lump where CL is located?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure about fever she is acting normal though. it is not a cl location.

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
thats good to know..I would get a temp just to be sure its not infected...check to be sure she dont have a sticker stuck in there? Is it in a tooth area..maybe tooth abcess??

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
Im a dork lol...its on the throat not the jaw?...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol yes throat . ill get a temp after school

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
103.9 after being out in 90 degree weather....is that normal for a 1 year old?

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
not too bad for a sun bathed goat...

is the goat acting normal, eating drinking chewing a cud..bright and alert..not off by himself...??

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nope she is doing everything like usual.

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
thats good... most likely just the heat then...make sure he stays hydrated : ) and check his temp this evening when things cool down..see how it is

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my Vet says Daisy will have to completely remove the lump due to risk of caseous lymphadenitis because if its drained she has to be isolated for 6 months. has anyone ever had this procedure done?

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
Some vets do remove the whole Lymp noid...but usually its a lancing and flushing...6 months is too long be isolated for CL...once the CL is lanced and drained...it needs to be flushed 3 times a day for 3-4 days or until the wall of the cyst is thinned up enough to heal...this does of course need to be done very carefully and in a location that can be bleached...the whole event from lancing to healing well enough to be with the herd should be no longer than two weeks at best...the problem with this is most dont take the time to flush 3 times a day..allow the cyct to close up with the CL bacteria still lerking in there only to end up coming back ...
Depending on how much trust you have in your vet is where I would gauge what I would allow done..

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
could you post apic of the lump??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts